Can I copy DVD's without DVD Drive on PC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jono1978
    • Dec 2002

Can I copy DVD's without DVD Drive on PC?

I am very new to copying DVD's and would just like to know if it is possible to copy DVD's without a DVD player on my PC? I have a standard CD Rom and External CD Writer

I have seen a site dvdsqueeze.com which claims to be able to copy DVDs with No DVD player installed but dont really wanna but this if it doesnt work, has anyone used this or used any other software that does the same thing.

Cheers
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

No, your CD-Rom drive cannot read DVDs, this has to do with the different laser wavelengths use for DVDs and CDs.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Not a chance. For beginning, your computer MUST be able to read and access the contents in DVD discs, which cannot be achieved by neither your CD-ROM nor CD-writer. Furthermore, if you are looking at copying DVD to another DVD media, you will need a DVD writer to achieve the task (A CD-writer is incapable of this).

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If you mean DUPLICATE the DVD, of course not. If, however, you are merely seeking to copy the actual movie from the DVD, this CAN be accomplished by CAPTURING the movie in realtime with the following setup:

A standalone DVD player (for which you can turn off Macrovision copy protection)

A computer that has video-in capability

Appropriate set of audio/video connector cables

Comment

• jono1978
          • Dec 2002

Cheers guys for your replies, thanks for your help

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment