Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzless
    • Dec 2002

Burning DVDs

I'm just starting out, so I hope someone can help me. I've gotten all the way to ripping the DVD and being able to play it off my HD, however I would like now burn the DVD onto to a DVDR. My question is, I understand you can only burn up to 4.7GB. My DVD is a little over 5GB, so I must do the confusing burning onto two DVDRs. Can someone give me a heads up on how to separate the files? I'm using Mac OSX with DVDBackup which works great. But there is no support on how to break down onto 2 DVDRs when you're burning off Toast.
  • willfried
    • May 2003

splitting between two discs

did you ever get an answer to your question? I can figure out everything except how to split the files between two discs. I tried it and it doesn't work.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

You need to use a program like DVDShrink to make your filesize smaller

Comment

• willfried
        • May 2003

thanks - do you know if DVDSHRINK exists for Mac?

I have seen that there is at least one program that will do the split thing for windows - do you know if such a splitting utility exists on the Mac side?

thanks!

WF

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

There is now a Mac version of DVD2ONE. Rather than splitting your DVD9 onto two DVD5s, it will allow you to fit yor DVD9 onto one DVD5.

For more information, go to:

A DVD to DVD+-R/RW backup tool that backups onto a single DVD-Recordable in 15-30 minutes, including movie-only backups or full backups, with audio remastering capabilities

Comment

• willfried
            • May 2003

thanks - I checked it out and there is a MAC version - this was a european company, and I sent them a query as to whether this would work on material in the North American NTSC standard - and whether they would take a payment on an American credit card.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"thanks - I checked it out and there is a MAC version"

My pleasure ;>}

"whether this would work on material in the North American NTSC standard - and whether they would take a payment on an American credit card."

Yes, it does and yes, they do...

Comment

• willfried
                • May 2003

thanks again.

I saw their website - they also have a DVD-burning program they recommend, I wish I had known about that before I invested in Toast Titanium. Could have saved about $50! Oh well. I guess Toast Titanium is a good program, and I'm used to Toast and Jam from the adaptec days (it seems to be fundamentally the same program.)

Are you personally experienced with toasting DVD-Rs in the MAC platform? You seem to be very conversant with the process.

Will

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To willfried

(I'm assuming that you intended to address your last post to me)

"thanks again."

My pleasure ;>}

"Are you personally experienced with toasting DVD-Rs in the MAC platform? You seem to be very conversant with the process."

Not at all - I'm exclusively a PC user (although I have some very close relatives who "live in the MAC world")...

Comment

• willfried
                    • May 2003

PROGRESS REPORT:

I downloaded and bought DVD2ONEX for mac, everything seemed to work fine - except:

the finished disc seems to have no audio when I play it on the player-deck, although it sounds fine when I play it in the Mac iBook.

I picked an Italian film to start with - and I can't get the English subtitles to come up on either the player or the Mac. On the player, it lets me turn the subtitles on, but nothing happens - no subtitles actually come on.

Will

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To willfried

If you're sure you've done everything properly, I'd suggest you email the author...

Comment

Working...