Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadRebel
    • Jan 2003

~~n00biE with a problem says...~~

Hello and greeting's from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I have been browsing the forum now for a couple of day's and find it VERY informative and interesting to say the least.

Now that the introduction and salutation's are over and done with, I have a problem that I'm sure that someone will have an answer to. (My apologie's to the community that my first post in this forum has to one asking for assistance, but here goes.)

I have a Sony TR-808 Hi8 analog video camera (a dinosaur purchased in early 1994) on which, over the year's, I have taken some nice video tape's of our little family and would now like to convert these to VCD/SVCD and, (eventually), DVD. I say "eventually" as I don't have a DVD-RW yet and have to focus my effort's on VCD/SVCD. I intend to play these converted film's on our stand-alone DVD player.

I have installed Adobe Primier 6.5 and Pinnacle Studio 8.1, both of which only recognize and allow one to use a DV Camera (so I can trash those two) and have installed and "fiddled" around with InterVideo's WinProducer 2.0 (came with the graphics card) which will recognize an analog video cam such as mine, but the problem with this program, I find, is that the converted movie is incredibly HUGE! If my calculation's are correct, a 90 minute Hi8 tape result's in well over a 100Gb file!

I have tried using VirtualDub and AVI_IO and the end product was terrible (quality was worse than the source tape) and also resulting in a rather large file when it was over. I found a couple of tutz on VirtualDub and followed those to the letter but with un-satisfactory result's. I have yet to find a concise tut for AVI_IO other than the brief description of the program on the developer's page.

So...what now? All I want to do is capture and convert a Hi8 video tape to burn on CDR(s) and watch on our t.v. I'm not interested, at this point, of creating a "masterpiece" with fancy intro's, twirling scene's, menu's or anything like that (that will eventually come later once I get the basic's under my belt).

My question is: what program can I use to learn these basic's on and get a relatively good result not using up too much hdd space?

I sincerely hope that there is someone in here that can help out on this one. All replie's are most appreciated.

BTW...my hardware is:

- AMD AthlonXP 1800+
    - Transcend AKT/4A mobo
    - 512Mb RAM
    - 60Gb Maxtor HDD (partitioned into 5 x 11.1Gb drive's). My intention is to eventually purchase an additional 200Gb Maxtor should I be successful in learning this technique of capturing and converting.
    - MSI GeForce Ti4800SE-VTD8X 128Mb VIVO graphics card
    - CD-RW
    - DVD player
    - etc, etc
    - and again, my intention is to purchase a DVD-RW should I be successful in first learning this technique of capturing and converting to VCD/SVCD.

Thank you for your time and patience for reading all this and please forgive me for making so "long-winded" (people have told me that I can "ramble-on" like a Souther Baptist preacher sometimes)

I look forward to your response's.

Greeeeeetz to everyone!
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Try capturing with a lossless codec such as Huffyuv (requires large amounts of hdd space)....then converting to svcd/vcd

However, if you are interested in later putting these files on dvd, I would suggest that you create a cvd.

vcdhelp.com has some useful information on cvd authoring. You might want to search this forum and doom9.org for video capturing techniques.

Comment

• MadRebel
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Batman
      Try capturing with a lossless codec such as Huffyuv (requires large amounts of hdd space)....then converting to svcd/vcd

However, if you are interested in later putting these files on dvd, I would suggest that you create a cvd.

vcdhelp.com has some useful information on cvd authoring. You might want to search this forum and doom9.org for video capturing techniques.
      Thnx for your reply Batman. Will give it a shot m8.

Greeeeetz

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Your welcome

Comment

Working...