X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pam
    • Feb 2003

Playing svcd's

Hi all,

I'm totally new to all of this so i hope somebody will be kind enough to help.

I recently received some svcd's with a disc with the MPEG2 and Powerdvd software. I've downloaded the MPEG2 & Powerdvd without any apparant problems.

However, when i try to play the svcd's i get a couple of error messages which are :

'This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.' and, 'A disc with unsupported format in drive D'

I really don't know what to do next. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • miles6699
    • Nov 2002

Ive found that some software DVD players have a toggle which must be set to allow VCD/SVCD playback...this having failed...I use BsPlayer to read my mpeg2/SVCD files....but I recomend downloading Tsunami Filter pack also to pick up a good mpeg2 decoder...hope that helps...most of those programs are available here..
    If at first you don't succeed get a BIGGER hammer !

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

" 'A disc with unsupported format in drive D' "

That would indicate either a physically corrupt disk, or a disk formatted for a different TYPE of computer (e,g If you have a "PC", the disk may have been formatted for a Mac)...

Comment

• pam
        • Feb 2003

Thanks for your help so far.

I've dowloaded Tsunami Filter Pack as suggested but i'm still unable to play the svcd's. I'm getting the same error messages.

I've had assurances that the discs are made to be played on a pc. Unfortunately i don't have access to another pc to test the discs. (the person i got the discs from is in another part of the country).

I'm desparate to play these disc! Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks again.

Comment

• miles6699
          • Nov 2002

Ive gotten that same error message when i use ASUSDVD its same as powerDVD...I think it just means that u didn't put a DVD into the DVD player...I just play the mpeg files on BSPlayer instead.
          If at first you don't succeed get a BIGGER hammer !

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I recently received some svcd's"

miles6699 makes a valid point - Are you SURE the disks are SVCDs (on CD-Rs) and not DVDs, which require a DVD player?

Comment

• Ndb
              • Mar 2002

You could try this mpeg2 player (demo available) I used to use it to play SVCD's a while back.

Professional software products for video analysis and monitoring, IPTV solutions, digital broadcasting and video streaming, transcoding and VOD-servers.

Comment

• pam
                • Feb 2003

Hi again

i don't know if it's just me, the pc or the disks but i just can't get them to play!

I've tried the above suggestions and i'm now getting an error message stating "LSX-MPEG Player was not designed to run on machines that are not MMX enabled. The player will not render the stream."

What does this mean ??!!??

I've been assured these disks aren't damaged and were created to be played on a pc. I don't have a dvd player unfortunately otherwise i could have tested them to be sure they're not dvd disks. Is it possible that i need to have a card or chip or something put into the hard-drive (?) itself?

Or maybe i've just been had?

I'm on the brink of destroying the pc and bloody disks in a minute.

Thanks again for any help that's posted.

Comment

• ShuMO
                  • Dec 2002

some options

To verify this disks, drop one in your machine and Explore it using windows explorer. Look at the directory structure and see if it looks like a proper SVCD disk. When I do this I find these folders:
                  EXT
                  MPEG2
                  EXTRA
                  SEGMENT
                  SVCD
                  I also see the Title of the Disk in my explorer as well. This doesn't prove that its a proper SVCD but it does validate that its a attempt at one. Next open the MPEG2 folder and see if there is a xxx.mpg file. This would be the stream your looking for.
                  In your first msg, you said you had ... 'received some svcd's with a disc with the MPEG2 and Powerdvd software'. then you said you downloaded them. Was there special software sent along with these Disc's?
                  My next suggestion isn't quite so basic. There are available some test files of SVCD's that you could download and burn yourself. This would allow you to validate your playback ability with a different test. GL.
                  ShuMO

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

What is your system configuration, Pam?

I have seen the error messages you describe, displayed on very old pc's (first generation pentium's for instance). Perhaps, your PC is old and incapable of playing mpeg-2 files.

Alternatively, if that is not the case, extract the mpeg-2 file using ISOBUSTER

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Have you successfully used PowerDVD to play ANY types of videos? If not, your problem may lie with not having successfully installed the PowerDVD program - although I still believe that the error message you initially received indicates that the disks are either corrupt or of an inappropriate format for your CD Reader to read...
                      Last edited by setarip; 10 Feb 2003, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...