Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steverae
    • Dec 2001

changing framerates of divx moviez to convert to VCD

I download moviez from morpheus. DVD Rips are fine and convert really well to VCD, however, some moviez have really strnage framerates, like 12.5 or 20 or even 60 !.

1) Why do people not just create standard framerate divx's

2) I know i can convert these to 25 fps or whatever (29.97, 23.971) using tmpgenc, but the resulting movie becomes jerky.

Question ?

Is they anyway you can use a filter or something in virtualdub to correct the framerate, keeping the audio in sync and not causing the video file to play at twice the speed. (as in the case of a 12.5 fps movie converted to 25).

I know you can use things like 3:2 pulldowns to convert from 30 to 24, what about the otherway.

IE isn't there not a filter or plugin, that would take the movie and generate extra frames between each frame to double the framerate.

(I could of course, capture the video at mpeg1 25fps in real time using my ati AIW card, but you start losing quality)
  • kahm-jai
    • Mar 2002

Hey,

Well.. I figure since i have the same problem with converting PAL DVD's (20 fps??) anyway... whatever..

I figure there is a sidestep, you convert it to DIVX first or HuffYuv lossless codec, at least something with a quite high quality, use the temporal cleaner or smoother from jim cassaburi or avery lee in VDUB (saving it) and THEN converting it to a 25fps movie, with frameserving or just converting it.. I guess it would be less jerky..

(since it changed the changes within frames.. or do that to the converted 25 fps one anyway... that should work too.. yet... it would cost you double rendering time and lots of HD space...)

possibly you could decimate by 2 when dealing with 20 fps --> 10fps, and then convert to NTSC 29.97 (almost 30) maybe it's less jerky.. maybe not, just theoretically, i haven't found a good solution either
    Greetz.
    Kahm-Jai

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Supposedly, TMPGEnc should change the framerate to that of your vcd template (be sure to select the appropriate vcd template).

Comment

• kahm-jai
        • Mar 2002

Yes.. that's not the problem

The problem is that the resulting movie is jerky..

somehow it seems to have lost a few frames, or just doubled a couple to get to 25 fps instead of 20fps.

The VCD works at any VCD player, yet the movie is.. jerky...

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

I believe this "jerkiness" may be due to interlacing/de-interlacing. However, I have little experience on this. You may want to uncheck interlacing.

Comment

• kahm-jai
            • Mar 2002

I guess i could try..

yet.. the frames are in good order. they are not reversed sometimes or something. At least so it seems!

I've read quite a piece 'bout that at doom9 or vcd helper i believe.

Maybe other idea's that might help? I'll try this in the meanwhile

Comment

Working...