Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sircharles
    • Aug 2002

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I've tried to convert my Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD to divx several times. The audio converts fine, the video converts fine, however, the audio and video never completely sync together.

The program I've been using is DVD2Divx Rippack version 3 beta 16. I've had great luck with it in converting several other DVD's, however, it doesn't seem to be able to convert the Ferris DVD correctly.

I've tried converting it with and without audio delay. I'm rather frusterated that I can't get this DVD conversion to work. Does anyone have any suggestions, or at least had simmilar problems.

My hardware shouldn't be of concern:

AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
    768 MB PC100
    Seagate Barracuda IV 80 GB
    ATI Rage Fury 32 MB

That should be all pertenant info
    One day I'll graduate.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try the following procedures:

1) Rip DVD with DVDDecrypter

2) Convert to .AVI using Flask v.0.594PX3 (improved conversion time versus "plain vanilla" 0.594 - and less prone to lockup)
    A) Using DivX v.3.11 codec (Fast Motion 910kbps, keyframe every 10 seconds) or other DivX codec, or Xvid codec, or 3IVX codec
    B) Using PCM (uncompressed) audio at 48,000Hz (Maintains synchronization of audio and video)

3) Load .AVI into VirtualDub
    A) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    B) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
    C) Under "Audio", click on "Conversion", select "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz, if this doesn't present a playback problem for you)
    D) Under "Audio", click on "Compression" select "MP3", "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz), "96Kbps" (or higher)
    E) Save revised .AVI with new filename

Comment

• sircharles
      • Aug 2002

I tried to use DVDDecrypter (3.1.4.0), however, it always stopped at 48%. It was always on vob3. It's as if the DVD drive stopped talking to the program. It just stopped reading the disc. I even tried to just let DVD2Divx rip the files for me, and then proceed with your suggestion, but Flask crashed every time I tried to select the .ifo file. To be honest, I've tried to play with flask in the past, and I've never gotten it to run on my system. It alway creates some error, or stops responding.

So it looks like I can't even try you method, because the software doesn't like my system.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
      One day I'll graduate.

Comment

• MR_D
        • Feb 2003

does the audio/video sync ok af first but fall apart by the end of is it out of synch from the get go?
        i had a simmilar problem with the dvd Wog Boy, it would start ok but in the end it was shot to peices, the problem was that half way thru the mpg i mage there was a seried of bad frames, i cut them out and the movie ran no problems, the source of the bad frames was a faulty dvd i am sure as i tried copying the .vob file again and again and the same problem was there. so watch the clip closely and where it looses sync you might have a bad frame or 2 (in my case close to 200 i think)

Comment

• sircharles
          • Aug 2002

If I do a vanilla dvd rip/conversion, the audio/video sync is off right from the start. If I then go and try to put the audio and video temp files created together manually in virtualdub, I can usually get the beginning to match up, but then starts to separate noticably by the midpoint of the film.

I don't think there are any bad frames, at least from the original. I've watched the DVD through several times, and have never noticed any aberations.

So, I don't think it has anything to do with bad frames.

I've even tried to rip/convert the film on two different systems to see if maybe the DVD drive was at fault, and there was no change.

I'm afraid of trying to use new software, due to the fact that A: it takes 3 hours to do a single pass, and B: DVD2Divx is the only rippack that I've gotten to work with minimal problems, out of the several software packs I've tried.

It seems that software that works on one system has NO guarantee to work on another.
          One day I'll graduate.

Comment

• MR_D
            • Feb 2003

is the audio the same length as the video?
            are you interleaving the audio with the video, try interleavong a/v every 4000ms (using virtual dub)?
            another thing you might try is dong the movie vob by vob and not all at once, if for example the first 2 vobs yeild good results but the last doesnt then you can focus your efforts more closely on the problem

Comment

• sircharles
              • Aug 2002

Actually, I was a bit confused with the audio/video tracks produced. The Audio track is actually 4 seconds longer than the video track. I've never seen that before. Do you think it's a form of copy protection, or just an aboration of the ripping/converstion software I used, or it's like that with all movies, and I just noticed now
              One day I'll graduate.

Comment

• MR_D
                • Feb 2003

i dont know if that is normal, what program do you use to decode the audio and video? and what format do you decode then both to?

Comment

• sircharles
                  • Aug 2002

The software I use is:

DVD2Divx Rippack version 3 beta 16

The video track gets encoded with Divx 5.0.2 Pro. I usually encode single pass (that takes away 3 hours of computer use, so double pass is out of the question) at 800kb/sec. The video size is usually captured at 5xx by 2xx. The audio, I've tried both MP3 at 128Kb/sec and Windows Media Audio at 64Kb/sec.

All the combinations I've tried have failed.
                  One day I'll graduate.

Comment

• MR_D
                    • Feb 2003

you got me stumped. all i suggest doing is what i do and extract audio as .wav (uncompressed PCM) and then convert to mp3.
                    either that or try diffrent programs i spose sorry dude

Comment

• sircharles
                      • Aug 2002

Well I solved the problem, so I'll recap just in case someone else ever has the same problem.

I eventually downloaded and used DVD2AVI to convert the ripped Vob files. I used Divx 5.0.3 Pro, for the video, setting it at 775 Kb/sec. I had DVD2AVI leave the audio track intact to produce an AC3 192 Kb/sec Wav file. I tested how well the two synced by producing a test AVI, doing direct stream copies of both the audio and compressed video. It worked. However, compressing the audio required a little more than just using Virtualdub. Virtualdub kept screwing up the audio track when I tried to compress it, in several different formats (one at a time, of coarse). I eventually used Audioactive Production studio to process the large AC3 derived Wav file into a high quality 48 KHz 128 Kb/sec MP3. Then I took that new MP3 with the compressed video track and did a direct stream copy of the two of them in Nandodub (Nandodub has the ability to use already existing MP3's as tracks). That did it.

I'd like to thank everyone that gave me suggestions.

Adios.
                      One day I'll graduate.

Comment

Working...