X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • o770
    • Feb 2003

newbie needs help with DivX codecs.

Hi,

does the size of a movie file influence decoder performance?

please also, I read many complaints of the version 5.0.3 of DivX regarding system instability issues and what else.. what are some other problems it is causing?
    I'm concerned about installing it by now though I have some movies encoded with it and can't play them. do u think I should give it a shot? I'm running W2K, DX 8.1. I have version 5.0.2 installed and 3.11 Alpha.

I read that versions of DivX are backward compatible, but somewhere in this forum someone recommended that the latest official version of DivX was installed along with version 3.11 Alpha. then I did it so. But why is that? Shouldn't 5.0.2 be enough?

Thank you a lot for the attention,
    o770
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

The Divx 5.0.3 codec does not have any visible quality increases. It doesn't work with GordianKnot. I am not sure if the 5.0.3 codec is backward compatable.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

does the size of a movie file influence decoder performance?
      It's not so much decoder performance, rather how much data your system will have to transmit and decode. Assuming your system is decently fast (say, above 700 or 800 MHz), this matter should pose no problem.

I'm concerned about installing it by now though I have some movies encoded with it and can't play them. do u think I should give it a shot? I'm running W2K, DX 8.1. I have version 5.0.2 installed and 3.11 Alpha.
      Tried the alternative decoder, FFDShow?

But why is that? Shouldn't 5.0.2 be enough?
      DivX 5.02 is backward-compatible with DivX 3.11 (it being entirely different from the other codec actually). However, the one beef that I have with 5.02 decoding 3.11 contents is that the decoder blurs the resulting video (which is just plain annoying). Hence I prefer using the Tsunami-patched DivX 3.11 codec, which will prevent the DivX 5.x codec from automatically taking over 3.11 playback.

Comment

• o770
        • Feb 2003

I will try FFDShow. should I uninstall DivX 5.0.2?

I'd like to try also Tsunami-patched version of 3.11 then, but would I have to remove 3.11 Alpha? Do u recommend me to do this?

what is the correct procedure of uninstalling a video codec?

again, thanks for the replies!
        o770

P.S.: which version of FFDShow should I download, 2003-01-03 Alpha or 2002-06-17?
        Last edited by o770; 14 Mar 2003, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I will try FFDShow. should I uninstall DivX 5.0.2?
          You don't really need to. If you want FFDShow to play DivX 5.x contents, just enable it from within FFDShow Configuration. If you don't want it to, similarly disable it.

I'd like to try also Tsunami-patched version of 3.11 then, but would I have to remove 3.11 Alpha? Do u recommend me to do this?
          Yes, preferably.

what is the correct procedure of uninstalling a video codec?
          Normally, the codec(s) should come with an uninstaller program. When none is available, the manual method of deleting the AX files come into mind, though I'm not recommending this to someone who is not familiar with the business.

which version of FFDShow should I download, 2003-01-03 Alpha or 2002-06-17?
          I'm using the former and am very happy with it. No problems encountered so far (well, since January ).

Comment

• o770
            • Feb 2003

I installed FFDShow but movies won't play yet so I will probably need DivX 5.0.3. I guess I'll try it, I hope I get no problem.

I did a few things that I'm not sure if are ok.

I chose FFDShow to decode all DivX contents as this was the default installation settings. contents are of DivX 3, 4 and 5.

then after the installation I ran the Configuration shortcut by mistake. should I've done these things?

as for the compact version of Tsunami 3.11 DivX, I installed it in the Minimal mode. Will FFDShow still decode the DivX 3 contents, since I chose it to do that?

And just one more thing I hope I'm not bothering you much,
            I will soon need to do a fresh installation of the OS, what are some Codecs or Codecs Packages you recommend me to have? I mean, I will probably need the official DivX 5.0.3 right? what else I may download just to make sure I'll have no problems playing movies I download off the internet?

Thanks for your patience, you have been a big help!
            o770

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

then after the installation I ran the Configuration shortcut by mistake. should I've done these things?
              Not quite clear on what you mean here . . .

as for the compact version of Tsunami 3.11 DivX, I installed it in the Minimal mode. Will FFDShow still decode the DivX 3 contents, since I chose it to do that?
              As long as the patched DivX 3.11 codec is installed, you are fine. I always run the installation in Custom mode, so I have no idea what codecs are installed in the Typical and Minimal mode.

I will soon need to do a fresh installation of the OS, what are some Codecs or Codecs Packages you recommend me to have? I mean, I will probably need the official DivX 5.0.3 right?
              The latest version of Tsunami codec pack, which you'll be pleased to know includes the latest DivX 5.03 codec.

what else I may download just to make sure I'll have no problems playing movies I download off the internet?
              You may want to install the XviD and AC3 codecs as well. FFDShow is perfectly able to decode XviD contents as well though.

Comment

• o770
                • Feb 2003

Enchander, I tried now that you recommended me to do after a re-format and worked great. I got playing all of the 5.0.3 contents and the playback is much faster now. and I got no problem at all, apart from choosing the components in the full package of Tsunami.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...