Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicsmosthated
    • May 2003

ripping vhs

I've done it before, but it was a while ago and it was on a mac. what are the best programs to use on pc (windows xp) to rip vhs? I have one that came with my computer, it's called dvgate.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

VirtualDub has a very good capture program built-in - for use in conjunction with a video card that has video-in capability...

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

dvgate is for capture fed by digital video camera thru the 1394 firewire. There are devices that allow you to feed analog VHS from camcorders or VCR's thru the USB 1.1 and USB2 ports. They used to make devices to feed analog VHS thru the printer parallel port...but XP doesn't seem to let you do that anymore. Setarip...I can't open my box so I can't change out to a vid in card...but I've been dying of curiousity. This would seem to be the logical way to get "lossless" capture...does VirtualDub capture look as good as the source VHS?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

"does VirtualDub capture look as good as the source VHS?"

Yes, if you capture at (believe it or not) 720x480 and 30fps with a lossless video codec such as HuffyUV.

It just requires substantial hard drive space...

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

Sounds like the way to go. I'm jealous...you can get there from the USB2...but it requires a lot of hoop jumping.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

"I can't open my box"

Just curious - Why not?

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Sony notebook for road warrior work (I have an external 80gig WD HD and Sony DRX serialed thru the firewire...vid out (but no vid in), and a DVC-150 attached to a USB2 card. One good thing about working with MPEG is about 1/2 the 80 gig drive is devoted to storage. I'm converting my VHS library, and you know how you'll have parts of a series scattered over 6 8hr tapes. I'm cataloging the segments after render and when I complete a series I can burn all the various segments in order to disc for off-computer storage. You'd need 2 to 3 times the storage to do the same thing working with AVI. My problem was getting a quality MPEG so that I'd feel comfortable scrapping my source. It wasn't until 2-3 weeks ago that I was able to create MPEG's I thought were identical to source by doing things conventional wisdom said was impossible.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

If you are seriously involved in video conversion, you really should consider purchasing/building a dedicated desktop system - costs are WAY down...

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Would have been good advice if I was just starting out...but since I finally got MPEG results as good as source 2 1/2 weeks ago I've already converted 10 of my 40 8hr tapes. I should have that task completed in a little over a month...then I'll be looking at other options to capture shows straight from the TV to digital. Necessity is the mother of invention. I discovered that once I was able to get TMPGenc to work with Dazzle capture not only was I able get good quality results, but the files were sized to a point where I could easily get a 3 hr film on one 4.38 GB DVD disc. I even got pocahantes and heavy metal on one disc, and I routinely put 5 30min parts of a Revolutionary war battles series on one disc. You know that "Cosmos" DVD you were trying to get that unmentionable product to shrink? I had a DVD from the library on that too (it's only a copy of the 352X240 VHS) and ran into the same problems you had because it had 2 programs on one disc...but the program I ripped successfully would only fit on one DVD. Rather than convert that series I had originally taped in the 80's with all it's graininess...I'm going to check out the library to see if they have the series in VHS and see if I can get 2 parts on one disc. Won't be any worse than that DVD

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

COSMOS update: They do have the VHS series at the library. The DVD of one part= 3.88GB (I can't remember at what level GOP compression I used). The VHS MPEG Capture= 3.75GB...after rendering in TMPGenc the final product= 1.28GB...which means I can get 3 parts on one DVD. Quality= Since the original series was taped in 1982 the resolution is 352X240...and I can't tell the difference from my rendered MPEG and what's on the DVD for the body of the show. The Update (which was done in 1992) was done in the digital era and mastered (appearently) at 720X480 for it was much clearer and defined on the DVD version...but since Dr. Sagan's updates need to be updated now, I'm lopping them off.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

"but since Dr. Sagan's updates need to be updated now, I'm lopping them off."

How unkind. Let the man rest in peace (You do know that he died a few years back, don't you?)

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

Oh yes...his updates came 10 years after the series...and now it's another 10 years. Did you notice how old he looked? Just 10 years...and it's like a jeckyle/hyde transformation. Guess that's what non-smoking does to you.

Comment

• t610425
                          • May 2003

Re: To rsquirell

Originally posted by setarip
                          "does VirtualDub capture look as good as the source VHS?"

Yes, if you capture at (believe it or not) 720x480 and 30fps with a lossless video codec such as HuffyUV.

It just requires substantial hard drive space...
                          I tried to do this, but virtualdub refuses all resolutions that are greater than 288. How do you manage?

All the best
                          takis

Comment

• rsquirell
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Feb 2003

Did you use the Huffy UV?

Comment

• t610425
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
                              Did you use the Huffy UV?
                              Yep,

Virtualdub comes back with the error "unsupported format". It say at vd's site that you can get over the 288 vertical limit in "preview" mode, tried that with no result.

Currently I'm using the asusdvcr that captures with it's own codec in best quality and has no problems with size.

But it does not crop and have to rerun anyway to vb for this and divx compression ...

Any help welcome

All the best

takis

(it's a w2k pc + pinnacle tv)

Comment

Working...