How Do I Burn a DVD after Authoring with TMPGEnc DVD Author?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

How Do I Burn a DVD after Authoring with TMPGEnc DVD Author?

This forum has been a great in help sorting out the problems I've been facing in learning ripping, encoding, authoring, and so now I hope I can get some newbie help with burning. My first try failed.

I used TMPGEnc DVD Author to author a DVD and I ended up with the usual two folders, AUDIO_TS (empty) and VIDEO_TS (which has several BUP, IFO and VOB files). I have an HP DVD Writer 300e that comes with its own software, which I installed (ARC Soft). The software that came with the burner takes the user through the entire process from capture to "produce," which I assume is the step that does the burning, but I don't need any of that, since I already authored my DVD with TMPGEnc and just want to burn it. There was no way to bypass the steps and skip to the burn part. I was stumped. Do I need to use this software?

I have Burning ROM, which I like very much, but it only does Music CDs, Data CDs and VCDs. Am I missing something in Burning ROM?

I tried to drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder from my hard drive to the drive that the HP DVD Writer was connected to. Is that all there is to it, or do I need some intermediate burning software?

It asked me to format the disk, so I did. Then, when I dragged the folder to the HP drive, it started copying but after a while it said the folder was too big. I checked, and it was 4.36GB. Is that too much for a DVD+R disk? I thought those disks can hold 4.7GB.

Anyway, my main two questions: 1) can I just drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder to the burner drive or am I missing a step? 2) how much can a 4.7GB disk hold and what is the usual headroom?

Advice will be greatly appreciated. With thanks and best wishes.
    Last edited by megamachine; 7 Jun 2003, 06:58 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have Burning ROM, which I like very much, but it only does Music CDs, Data CDs and VCDs. Am I missing something in Burning ROM?"

Apparently you are. Assuming that you've purchased/updated to one of the most recent versions, click on the down arrow to the right of the box that says "CD" - and you'll see that you can choose "DVD" instead...

Select NERO's "DVD-Video" mode and copy all of the files in your hard drive's "VIDEO_TS" folder into the red "VIDEO_TS" folder. Then burn - that's it...

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

Great, I figured that it was easy, but I can't seem to find that function in my version of Nero. I am a registered user of version 5.5.7.8 and the options it gives are CD-ROM (various kinds), Mixed Mode CD, Audio CD, CD Extras, CD Copy, VCD and SVCD. Do I have to connect the DVD burner to see the DVD option, or am I using a version that does not support DVD burning? Thanks.

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

Ah hah, I think the problem is I am still running the trial version of Burning ROM, which does not have the InCD feature necessary to burn DVDs. Since I'm on the road, I can't get the Nero CD for next couple of months, so I wonder if there is another downloadable program I can use for DVD burning in the mean time. Many thanks.
        Last edited by megamachine; 7 Jun 2003, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• DVDHD
          • May 2003

Originally posted by megamachine
          Ah hah, I think the problem is I am still running the trial version of Burning ROM, which does not have the InCD feature necessary to burn DVDs. Since I'm on the road, I can't get the Nero CD for next couple of months, so I wonder if there is another downloadable program I can use for DVD burning in the mean time. Many thanks.
          U DO NOT need incd.
          1-open nero burnin room
          from nero wizard check DVD ( if it is there , if dvd option was not there
          then Nero can not see your DVD burner)
          next check compile a new dvd
          next check orhter dvd format.
          next check dvd video
          next finish
          import your VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS
          then select burn from tools bar.
          Sorry for my ESL.

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

Thanks, that got it working. Now, to my second question about overhead. I don't have any DVD+RW disks left, and won't be able to get some for a while, so my few DVD+R disks are very precious at the moment and I don't need any more coasters. So, will 4.36GB fit on a 4.7GB DVD+R disk, or do I need more overhead? In TMPGEnc I got a warning message while authoring saying that I was over the limit, and I think the VIDEO_TS folder may not fit. It'd be helpful to have the benefit of others experiences while planning my DVD and preparing the files for maximum storage.

Comment

Working...