Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bboy486
    • Dec 2002

help with Divx playback....

Hi i have been running Divx on my small computer. For the most part the playback is flawless, however every now and then it will freeze for less than 1/2 a sec and resume.

I have already used msconfig to reduce running application. and the system resources are below 70 ( i think around 50%)

What could be causing this problem

Specs\
    itx computer
    VIA Mini-ITX EPIA M9000 w/C3 933 CPU
    256 meg of ram pc2100
    10 gig hdd
    on board graphics
    extigy sound card hooked up to an analog surround sound system.

Also I have my computers networked via a wireless network (excellent 11 mbps) having the itx computer directly connected to the cable modem.

When i play movies, or divx files from my other computer the files freeze up and skip frequently.

Why would this occur? and what caN I do. I have also run msconfig on this as well.
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

you can try FFDSHOW or divfix. they may help to skippyness
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• bboy486
      • Dec 2002

ffdshow

Most of my divx are on Cd's
      I odnt see how those programs would help. I dont think the divx has a problem.... its either hardware or software or resources.... but i am not sure

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

every now and then it will freeze for less than 1/2 a sec and resume.
        Looks like an overtaxed CPU.

If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, bring up Windows Tax Manager (by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del) and play a video file. If the CPU Usage meter peaks at 100% constantly, then it is a sure indication that your CPU is not coping well with the decoding task thrown at it.

Apart from using FFDShow, as chickeneater suggested, reduce all post-processing filters and ensure that DMA for the harddrive is enabled. If you can get yourself a spare video card (a more powerful one than the on-board adapter), you might try it and see whether it makes an improvement.

Cheers.

Comment

• bboy486
          • Dec 2002

I cannot get a video card because the pci slot is low profile. So basically i cannot find anything that will fit inside the slot.

what does FDDShow do?
          How do I reduce all post-processing filters ?
          and how do I ensure that DMA for the harddrive is enabled?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

what does FDDShow do?
            It is an alternative decoder for the popular formats DivX and XviD. It contains many features and is light on CPU resources.

How do I reduce all post-processing filters ?
            Play the movie file with WMP 6.4, BSPlayer or any players that allow access to the decoder properties. Go to the said property window and adjust the post-processing slide bar accordingly.

and how do I ensure that DMA for the harddrive is enabled?
            Check for the status of DMA under Device Manager (accessible by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties).

For Win2K/XP, it can be found under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. For Win9x, it can be found under Disk Drives (if I remember right).

Comment

• bboy486
              • Dec 2002

post-processing filters

"How do I reduce all post-processing filters ?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Play the movie file with WMP 6.4, BSPlayer or any players that allow access to the decoder properties. Go to the said property window and adjust the post-processing slide bar accordingly."

well i am using bsplayer, and I switched the post process bar from the extreme left to the extreme right, however the divx files i am running from over my wireless network is still skipping a bit?

I have no idea what is causing it

oh and by the way when running the divs my system resources is only at 50% betwwen 37 - 60 min and max

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

oh and by the way when running the divs my system resources is only at 50% betwwen 37 - 60 min and max
                That brings things differently then.

Try updating the drivers for your components instead. Update:
                1. Chipset or motherboard driver
                2. Video card driver
                3. DirectX

If possible, look for a setting that can increase the bandwith of the on-board video adapter. I have a suspicion it is the weakest link here.

Comment

• bboy486
                  • Dec 2002

That brings things differently then.

Try updating the drivers for your components instead. Update:
                  1. Chipset or motherboard driver
                  2. Video card driver
                  3. DirectX

If possible, look for a setting that can increase the bandwith of the on-board video adapter. I have a suspicion it is the weakest link here.

Its on board video s3 graphics or something, directx should be at what 9? and how do I"look for a setting that can increase the bandwith of the on-board video adapter. I have a suspicion it is the weakest link here." exactly?

Comment

• bboy486
                    • Dec 2002

updates

i got a few updates from windows updater
                    i hope that works....

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

how do I"look for a setting that can increase the bandwith of the on-board video adapter
                      Consult your motherboard manual on whether and how, if possible, you can do it.

Comment

Working...