X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XBucklawX
    • Mar 2003

Best Capturing Software

Hey guys !

I need some help here. I recently purchased a pioneer dvd-burner, and was wondering what software would be best for me to transfer my VHS tapes over to DVD-r !

I have an ATI tv wonder capture card, and i've tried a fair amount of capture software, but still end up with the same results : blocky, and poor quality captures !

CAPTURING ----

**Mpeg format **
    Sonic MYDVD - came with the burner, had no luck with it, wouldn't recognize my capture card.
    Cyberlink PowerVCRII - The quality before recording was great, but during recording looked terrible, and after recording didn't look as good as before i started recording.
    WinDVD Creator - had great results with it, (thought it was the best )but now for some strange reason it won't recognize my capture card settings, and only encodes at 1/2 DVD format, which is 320 X 240 !

**AVI format**
    VirtualDUB - could only capture at a size of 320 X 240, didn't look great on a 27' TV screen !
    IuVCR - worked great for capturing at 720 X 480, but with the huffyduv codec, would create HUGE files, which i didn' t have the space for !! And the other codecs installed (xvid, and divx) wouldn't come close for picture quality compared to huffy !

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

I'm capturing constant motion VHS, the content of the tapes are horse racing !!!!

Intel(R) Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHz
    256MB of RAM
    NVidia Geforce2 MX/MX400
    Soundblaster Live!

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"IuVCR - worked great for capturing at 720 X 480, but with the huffyduv codec, would create HUGE files, which i didn' t have the space for !"

This is definitely the way to go. If you're intending to do a significant amount of video work (especially capturing), you might want to give serious consideration to installing an additional hard drive. You can get a 160Gig Maxtor from Staples for a net cost (after rebate) of only $80US!

Comment

• XBucklawX
      • Mar 2003

yeah i've done work with iuVCR and was pleased with the results !
      Only thing i didn't like was the huge file size !
      Looks like a new HD for me hehe

Is going with .avi format first, then to mpg, better than just directly to .mpg?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Is going with .avi format first, then to mpg, better than just directly to .mpg?"

In my opinion, the ability to capture at 720x480 with a lossless codec is of paramount importance...

Comment

• XBucklawX
          • Mar 2003

ok my iuVCR worked great, now i get this message when i try to capture !
          "Unable render capture graph for current settings, Check videostream settings and capture codec and try again"

anyone have any info on this?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

If, as you've stated, it previously worked properly for you, you (or some newly installed software) must have changed some settings - which only you can determine...

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

ULead Video Studio 7 will allow you to capture and will convert your AVI to MPEG2 on the fly. They'll give you a 30 day trial.

Comment

• XBucklawX
                • Mar 2003

i had downloaded the ulead dvd movie factory 2 and i found that the captured video "grabbed" in spots !
                Plus the video had lines in it , which were very annoying. Couldn't capture in .mpeg with the lines, had to capture in .avi and open up virtualdub to de-interlace the file !

I'll take a look at video studio !
                Hopefully it will let me capture at 720 X 480 hehe
                thanks

******** Just downloaded the demo, somehow it won't let me choose the huffy codec, i choose huffy in the list, but it goes to the windows media codec *********
                Last edited by XBucklawX; 22 Jun 2003, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Sorry...scrolled back up and see you are using the wonder card. VS7 is a solution for capturing DV thru the firewire in MPEG2 format. If you want to work with MPEG2 have you considered using an MPEG2 device to capture with. I'm getting lossless capture using the Dazzle DVC-150 thru the USB2 port. Circuit City has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

Comment

Working...