Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rings09
    • Jun 2003

Copying VHS movies

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here?
    I am a total newbie and I'm wishing to learn how to convert my VHS (PAL) video tapes to CD. I'm looking for what type of software/hardware would be required preferably using a VCR.
    If anyone knows of a link to a forum with this advice, that would also be most helpful.

With the help of you guys, I'm learning more each day
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I've almost completed copying my 60 8hr VHS tape library ( and when that's over I'll do the same with my Hi8's). There are all kinds of cards and software that'll do this...the key is picking one that'll give you a "lossless" capture so that your DVD will look as good as the original VHS so you can get rid of the bulky source. Most cards capture in .AVI format which requires a lot of disc space. Not being able to open my box (VAIO notebook) I went with and external device (Dazzle DVC-150) which captures at 720X480 resolution thru the USB2 port (even though VHS tapes are 356X240 res you want the device to have the highest possible resolution in order to get the lossless capture) in MPEG format (file size 1/4th-1/6th the size of AVI.) Even with the smaller file size you need a lot of disc space. The Dazzle forum is very active with a lot of knowledgable, helpful users. The DVC-150 is the only product I'll recommend by Dazzle...and their software sucks...but this hardware will give you as good a capture as you can get with any card...and if you inhabit the forum you'll learn the software work-arounds that work.

Comment

• RNCSerge
      • Jul 2003

What about using a DV Bridge through FireWire at 720x480? I think that would give good quality, too. Also I think you can capture fullscreen, since FireWire is also used for professional editing

Comment

Working...