Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harrykim
    • Jul 2003

can not play newer films

i am having probs with playing dvd films.
    per my recent post i get system freezes trying to play new fims.
    after changing to power dvd and updating aspi layer,i can play older dvds no prob..either region..also dvdr..
    but still can not play my later retail dvd films.,that i could play before.

i insert dvd into liteon 165h on win98se...blue screen and error message.
    i open power dvd and open from there and the program freezes..and i have to reboot.

this prob arose at the time i was working with nero and was having probs compiling files..and nero tools would freeze on reading my drives..also opening nero express woulf freeze system...ive uninstalled it for now.

any help appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

harrykim,

If you are NOW saying that you can playback "older" COMMERCIAL DVDs but not newer COMMERCIAL DVDs, this is even more incomprehensible than your first thread, where you indicated that you could playback BURNED DVDs but not COMMERCIAL DVDs.

Since there is no new technology in your "newer" commercial DVDs versus your "older" commercial DVDs, the only possibilities that I can think of for such a hard-to-believe disparity are:

1) You've somehow damaged ALL of your "newer" commercial DVDs

OR

2) ALL of your "newer" commercial DVDs are for yet another region, which your drive is not equipped to handle

OR

3) ALL of your "newer" commercial DVDs are actually pirated versions, in which case I would offer no further input to your thread

Comment

• harrykim
      • Jul 2003

can not play newer dvds

thanks for reply.

no not pirate dvd but shop bought dvds which i could play last week but not this week...
      i dont know if its a question of missing windows components,or the hardware or buses..
      in fact my registry is saying my dvd and cd are on scsi,and nero brings up a window saying it is testing the scsi bus.
      i dont have any scsi card..my buses are ultra ata100 ..
      the drives are both in system props as cdroms on the same generic drivers..ive tried to update drivers,but no luck so far.

this is confusing for me as i havent come accross this prob before and am searching for clues.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"nero brings up a window saying it is testing the scsi bus."

This is perfectly normal, whether or not you have a SCSI card installed

"the drives are both in system props as cdroms"

This too is normal, under Win98SE

Just curious - Have you tried a different software DVD player, such as WinDVD?

Comment

• harrykim
          • Jul 2003

can not play newer dvds

yes i have...
          infact i used to use windvd by default..but i remember trying to upgrade it and was asked to download software updates..i think installer...and it got messed up.

i uninstalled/reinstalled..and it was problematic..when i opened it without dvd inserted..it froze windows and needed reboot.
          if i opened it with a dvdr in the player,it worked ok..also if i opened a dvdr it would open the software..at that point i switched to power dvd which will open with/without dvd in place..but freezes when trying to play newer dvd..or if i open the newer dvds i get blue screen.

my present thinking is i lost or screwed up windows components.
          or im looking at the double layer dvd question.

Comment

Working...