Best VHS capture card for Mpeg2 conversion less than $200?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertBaker5
    • Jul 2003

Best VHS capture card for Mpeg2 conversion less than $200?

Hi , I'm new to all this ,
    Just burned my first DVD's today using Nero and shrink . Just curious if there are any decent conversion card or systems that will let me back up my old VHS tapes to the hard drive with a minimum amount of cash and not too much HD space . I have about 20 gig available . Run W98 o.s. not SE! 1 gig PIII processor and 500 mb of RAM . I write to NEC 1100 A DVD+R burner. Looking for internal or external less than $ 200 ( Also I have no video in inputs on the Video Card , good card with 64mb on board)Any suggestions ?
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I've been very pleased with the Dazzle DVC-150 (external device that captures in MPEG2 thru USB2 port.) Since USB2 can't be installed on 98 I'd have to recommend the DVC-100 which does the same thing on the USB1.1 with your configuration for $30 less. BUT what I really recommend is that you upgrade to XP (MS is dropping support of 98 this summer...hmmm...it's summer already), truck on down to Sam's and pick up a 120GB HD ( they can be had reasonably these days), and once you have XP and SP1 installed get a USB2 PC card so you can get the 150 and capture at higher bitrates to get the highest quality capture possible.

Comment

• RobertBaker5
      • Jul 2003

Thanks RSQuirrel , but ....

Thanks for the info , I may get the lower end model .But as for changing to XP , I have a lot of old software I use that is incompatible with it including my printer . I'm not willing to lay out that much for upgrades . I know the HD's have gotten cheaper ,but I really dont want to get rid of either of my old ones, even duping to a new HD .I was just curious about some new options . I have W2000 pro on my other and was dissappointed at the number of software incompatible with it . I hate to hear about MS not supporting the O.S. but I guess I'm just stubborn . Thanks again for the info ,though .

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Yeah...I felt the same way...you get everything stabilized and reliable and some twit changes the rules on ya. I got into XP when I picked up a notebook a few months back...and now that I'm familiar with it I absolutely love it. All new software releases are being optimized for it...and once you get a taste of video capture your attitude will change. Get your device at Circuit City so you can have the option to take it back for an upgrade in 30days if you catch the bug.

Comment

• RobertBaker5
          • Jul 2003

Went out on a limb and bought ADS USb Instant DVD

Hey ,
          I got the works through Tigerdirect for $89 plus shipping . It supposedly works with 1.1 compliant as well as 2.0 USb systems .If I do the XP thing it's gonna be on a new machine , my motherboard only supports up to 1.2 gig processor .Thanks for all your info . I'll let you know if I have any more questions when I get the the thing and have it hooked up and running . Probably so , you have been great . If you know of any issues with the ADS machine , please let me know . If it doesn't work , Tigerdirect says I can ship it back in 30 days in a saleable form.
          Thanks again , Tony

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Go to the Dazzle forums...www.dazzle.com/home >>support>>community forums. There are a lot of helpful users in the DVC-150 areas. I'm going to be moving this weekend and don't know when I'll be able to check out the video forums...time to go to work.

Comment

Working...