Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • congobongo
    • May 2003

file size ?

i have an 800,000 kb file on my pc. when i encoded it to svcd format the file was 2.1 gb.. Is this normal? How can I prevent the file size increase or can I?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"i have an 800,000 kb file on my pc."

If this file is an .AVI file (DivX-compressed or otherwise), the size increase when converting to SVCD is NOT unusual...

Comment

• RNCSerge
      • Jul 2003

if you're not picky about using SVCD, you can encode the movie in Windows Media 8/9 . Best quality, but unfortunately can't play in a standalone DVD player

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To RNCSerge

So how would your suggestion be beneficial to Congobongo?

He/She already has a perfectly good working compressed video on the hard drive. Any additional conversion will, at best, diminish the quality...

Comment

• RNCSerge
          • Jul 2003

If the movie was ripped from DVD, he might as well do it over, this time with better quality. If the 800mb is as original as he can get, compressing it to 700 mb using an advanced compression algorythm such as WMV8/9, won't result in much qualit loss, or he can just split the current file in 2, and put it on 2 disks, or he can zip it up, but that's not very useful

Comment

• BoF
            • Nov 2001

I guess his 800Mo file already uses an "advanced compression algorythm" as your wmv8/9 does, and his main goal is to obtain a mpeg2 one (svcd).
            [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

lol, you work for M$, RNCSerge? "Best quality"?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To RNCSerge

"If the movie was ripped from DVD, he might as well do it over, this time with better quality."

The poster only said that he/she has, "an 800,000 kb file on my pc" - with no mention that either it was created from a DVD, or that he/she has a DVD...

Comment

• congobongo
                  • May 2003

it was burned from a sight. anyways i don't think that should matter. the whole file is in my C: drive. like i said it was around 800,00 kb. I encoded the .avi file to mpeg-2 (svcd). And it took up for cd's. the quality is fine. I don't care for changing the quality. I was wondering if all my movies in svcd mode will use up 4+ cd's and if there is a way i can minimize the amount of disks w/ out screwing up the quality. i am doing this to watch on my stand-alone dvd player. Thanks..

Comment

• loki679
                    • Aug 2003

I've just converted a file to svcd using tmpgenc and before it started to do the conversion it gave me some data about the estimated size. This was around 750MB so I adjusted the bitrate down on the same screen and got it to 698MB. Sorry if this is a bit vague but i'm totally new to all this, hope you know what i'm on about.

Comment

Working...