Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeyldc
    • Aug 2003

I'm new

Hi, I recently purchased a Dell computer with a DVD burner. I now need to purchase DVD burning/copying software. Since I am very new to the realm of DVD burning, could anyone give me any advice? I would like to make copies of DVDs that I own, as well as convert mpegs into files that can be viewed from a DVD player. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Joel
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

dvdshrink... there is a forum here, check it out
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• MPS
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Mar 2003

and techno's site of course, on dvdshrink: dvdshrink.info

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To joeyldc

"convert mpegs into files that can be viewed from a DVD player"

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• littlemouse
          Setaeriper
          • Aug 2003

To Joe

Hello joeyldc,
          1. I think the best software for copying protected DVD movies is DVD Shrink. If you want to know more about it, visit this site:
          DVD Shrink is a free and user-friendly dvd backup tool, enabling you to make backup copies of your DVDs to a single DVD±R/RW or Dual-Layer DVD+R. DVDs too big to fit on a DVD±R can be edited and/or compressed. DVDShrink.info does not condone the copying of DVDs in countries where it is illegal.

2. When you bought the Dell with DVD burner, I think it's already had the software bundle that you can easily use to convert, edit mpegs such as Ulead Video Studio, Ulead DVD MovieFactory, or Sonic MyDVD. All of them have the abilities to edit, make simple menus and chapters, and burn directly. You don't have to learn and use many programs for this purpose; it's hard and complicated for the beginner. I chose Ulead DVD MovieFactory for my self because it's easy to use and a little faster than others.
          The good is: you need to learn only one program to convert mpegs file, edit movies from your digital camcorder, make menus and chapters, burn DVDs directly, etc...

3. When you know more about those programs, if you want to be a better "producer", you may consider to learn about Ulead MediaStudio Pro, Adobe Premiere, Sonic RealDVD, Sonic Scienarist, Sonic DVDit!, Pinnacle Impression... All of them are used to make DVD movies. I chose Ulead MediaStudio Pro and Sonic DVDit!
          I hope you be an expert in this field...
          Have a nice day.
          Last edited by littlemouse; 30 Aug 2003, 09:53 PM.
          Those who can, do. Those who wonder why, help.
          Where can you find the best DVD backup software? Please click here

Comment

Working...