Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arnstein
    • Aug 2003

no sound after converting avi to mpg

Used tmpgenc 2.511 to convert an avi file to mpg in order to burn to vcd. No sound. Here's an image of the file info, though it's not that great a pic. Can somebody tell me why I get no sound and how to re-encode so that I do? Thanks, Arnstein
    Attached Files
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Your .AVI appears (I almost went blind trying to see the information ;>}) to contain a Variable Bitrate (VBR) audiostream, which TMPGEnc cannot process. Therefore, do the following:

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc

Simply use NanDub or VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    1) Load your original .AVI into NanDub

2)Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

3) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode" (NanDub only -For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Full Processing Mode")
    From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose "No compression(PCM)" (NanDub only - For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Compression" and choose "No compression(PCM)")

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"

5) Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (NanDub - set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file. - For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>click on the listed audiostream and then select "Disable").

6) Open TMPGEnc and FIRST "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• arnstein
      • Aug 2003

I must be doing something wrong. When I follow your instructions, the WAV saved is only about 350KB and the image of the saved avi is black.

Here's the info on my file scanned from Gspot.

STREAM TYPE OpenDML AVI

IMRR 1.00

INTERLEAVE 1 vid frame (40 ms), p=480 Split: No

AUDIO:

CODEC 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3

BITRATE 150 kb/s (75/ch, stereo) VBR

FS 48000 Hz

VIDEO:

CODEC div3 DivX 3 Low-Motion

X:Y 640x272 (2.35:1) [=40:17]

BITRATE: 1095 kb/s

FPS: 25.000

QF 0.252 bits/pixel

Perhaps I just don't understand how to use Nandub. After I do all the settings you suggest, what are the menu commands to save the sound and image files?

I tried again, still a tiny wav, then as I go to save the avi, I get a warning that I am saving an uncompressed avi which will be very large. Thanks for helping. arnstein

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"as I go to save the avi, I get a warning that I am saving an uncompressed avi which will be very large."

You forgot to set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

"I must be doing something wrong. When I follow your instructions, the WAV saved is only about 350KB and the image of the saved avi is black."

Try the following in NanDub, AFTER you've loaded the video and made all of the settings I previously listed (but before saving, of course!):

From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to beginning"

From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set selection start"

From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to end"

From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set selection end"

Svae with a new filename

(By the way, your posting of GSpot information appears to be that of a different video - that uses a different codec, than the first screencapture)
        Last edited by setarip; 31 Aug 2003, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• arnstein
          • Aug 2003

Weird - it was the same video, I'm positive.

So I tried what you said (think I did it all right.) and Nandub crashed. There's a crash report a mile long. Should I post it?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Should I post it?"

Nope.

Try using VirtualDubMOD (with the instructions I specifically listed for it) instead.

Please make certain you're working with an .AVI that plays properly...

Comment

• arnstein
              • Aug 2003

When I run VirtualDubMod and open the avi file in question, I get the following msg: "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 5001 ms of skew to the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the entire audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. Do you still want to rewrite the header?"

Which method do I want to choose?

Sorry to be so thick, but I'm brand new at this and most of the software available is designed for those already knowledgeable. Thanks so much for your help. arnstein

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Are you CERTAIN it's VirtualDubMOD and not the standard VirtualDub?

"Do you still want to rewrite the header?"

Answer, "No"

"Which method do I want to choose?"

The procedures I've previously detailed for you

Comment

• arnstein
                  • Aug 2003

Am I blind? Can'' see any "save wav" menu item under File in virtualdubmod. I have version 1.5.4.1, by the way.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

My apologies - In VirtualDubMOD "Save .WAV" also appears under "Streams"...

Comment

• arnstein
                      • Aug 2003

Bingo -- got a mpg that works. Thanks so much. arnstein.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"Bingo -- got a mpg that works. Thanks so much"

My pleasure - and congratulations ;>}

Comment

• arnstein
                          • Aug 2003

Oops -- something new. The source avi is in 16:9 aspect ratio, displays that way in WMP. TMPGenc displays it as it starts to encode as 4:3. I used an article from CloneAD to set up TMPGenc, but I can't seem to find the selection that will output to 16:9. So it's cut off in all directions. I went into the advanced settings and told TMPGenc that the source was 16:9 but it doesn't seem to care. Hope you can help. thanks

Comment

• arnstein
                            • Aug 2003

OK - I'm re-encoding it for 16:9 but with the setting "full screen, keep aspect ratio". I think it's going to be right, but not sure. I'll be showing it on a 4:3 screen, so lots of the image will be letterbox black, but I think that's the way not to crop the image poorly. arnstein

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"I'll be showing it on a 4:3 screen, so lots of the image will be letterbox black, but I think that's the way not to crop the image poorly."

You thinking is correct...

Comment

Working...