X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qpito7
    • Sep 2003

VCD Video quality

Hello Guys,

it's been a long time that im watching and reading all your instructions as well as all your advices till i finally decided to get register and post here my question.... and really all of you can be proud co'z you all really helping a lot of people dropping by on this interesting forum..... i am a newbie and it's very obvious but as what i read to this website finally at last i know now to convert divx to vcd...

the only problem i got is the quality of the picture.. there were some blocky spot on some part of the entire movie..... is there anyone who can help me to make it smooth and reduce this technical problem? im using the Tmpgenc 2.25 thanks.....

FWD# 96029
  • gd_nimrod
    • Nov 2002

You can use a higher video bitrate for your movies - which means you might have to use more than 1 or even 2 discs for a single movie to achieve better quality.
    Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• qpito7
      • Sep 2003

You can use a higher video bitrate for your movies - which means you might have to use more than 1 or even 2 discs for a single movie to achieve better quality.

thanks to you pal.... i already did that and the output were always the same.. nothing change... i think i already use the maximum video bitrate if im not mistaken... here it is...

MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CQ 100, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps

am i right?

FWD# 96029

Comment

• WildmanJoe
        • Jan 2003

VCD format has a maximum limit to the bitrate at which you can encode it at... namely 1150Kbps. What I think nimrod meant was for you to encode it to SVCD with a variable bitrate.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

You might also want to encode instead to SVCD, which will yield better quality than VCD).

Comment

• qpito7
            • Sep 2003

ahh okey i got it... i will try it.. thanks to all of you... i will post it again whatever comes out... keep up friends... your doing a lot of work here.......

FWD# 96029

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• qpito7
                • Sep 2003

hello buddies... i did all your instructions and believe me it works well...... i change the video bit rate and encode it to SVCD and it comes out well.... much better than ordinary encoded VCD... thanks to you all.... only one thing is the problem... my friends can't borrowed it because their player is not SVCD compatible... keep it up guys..... thanks to all of you.....

FWD# 96029

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To satisfy the limitations of your friends' players,use TMPGEnc as follows to create a file that will "fool" their players into playing it as "VCD":

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple Multiplex

Load your SVCD file

Change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD"

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Press the "Run" radio button

(Do not be concerned about any "Buffer underflow" messages you may see)

Burn (DO NOT ask burning software, such as NERO to CONVERT to VCD, rather merely BURN as a VCD)

Comment

• qpito7
                    • Sep 2003

ahh.. that's quiet interesting method.. i will try that.... but is it sure that it will not affect the quality of the movie? ok.... i will do that and lets see what comes out .... thanks to you buddy...

FWD# 96029

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"but is it sure that it will not affect the quality of the movie?"

This does NOTHING to alter the video itself...

Comment

• qpito7
                        • Sep 2003

To satisfy the limitations of your friends' players,use TMPGEnc as follows to create a file that will "fool" their players into playing it as "VCD":

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple Multiplex

Load your SVCD file

Change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD"

Press the "Run" radio button

(Do not be concerned about any "Buffer underflow" messages you may see)

Burn (DO NOT ask burning software, such as NERO to CONVERT to VCD, rather merely BURN as a VCD)

i did all this things and amazingly it plays... but, the movie is slow motion and the sound is not clear... it seems like its not compatible in the player.. the player is a brand of LG the first distribution of dvd.. is there any other method or trick that i have to do to play it normally on the same player?

FWD# 96029

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Nope...

(You could buy your friends a new player ;>})

Comment

• qpito7
                            • Sep 2003

okey thanks for your help.... so thats the only way..... i thought there is another one..ok, what important is i succeded to convert it the way it used to be... thanks to you all guys... keep it up... bye for now....

FWD# 96029

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"okey thanks for your help"

My pleasure ;>}

"i thought there is another one"

Only if you wanted to provide a (significantly) lower quality TRUE VCD. In that case, in order to legitimately convert the SVCD to TRUE (lower resolution) VCD format run TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple DeMultiplex

Load your SVCD file. Press the "Run" radio button to automatically save your video and audio streams as separate video (.M2V) and audio files (either .MP2 or .MPA).

Close TMPGEnc (as a precautionary measure).

Start TMPGEnc.

On the main screen, press the "Settings" radio button (If it is 'greyed out", press the "Load" radio button and select "Unlock.mcf").

Select the "System" tab and select "MPEG1-VideoCD"

Select the "Advanced" tab. Set the resolution to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set "Video Arrange method" to "Center (Custom size)" and enter the resolution of the original MPEG2

Select the "Video" tab. Set the "Size" to the same figures you entered under the "Advanced" tab.

Set the "Aspect ratio" to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set the framerate to 23.976,24,25 (PAL), or 29.970 fps

Click on OK to get back to the main screen

Click on the "Start" radio button

Since this will be the first attempt at this conversion, I STRONGLY suggest that after 3-5 minutes, you click on the "Stop" radio button and then answer "Yes" to "Abort now?". Minimize (DON'T exit) TMPGEnc. Doubleclick on the newly created short MPEG1-VCD version of your video. It should automatically start running under the Windows Media Player. If you notice a plethora of horizontal lines "jutting out" to the left and/or right (that weren't in your original video, do as follows:

Maximize TMPGEnc, click on the "Settings" radio button, and select the "Advanced" tab.

Put a checkmark in the box to the left of "Deinterlace"

Doubleclick on the word "Deinterlace".

Click on the down arrow to the right of the "Method" box and select the deinterlacing method you wish to apply (I prefer "Double (field adaptation)).

Make certain that there is a checkmark in the box to the left of "Enable filter". Click on OK (This will return you to the "Advanced" tab). Click on OK (This will return you to the main screen).

Click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file. Likewise, if you didn't observe the horizontal lines in your 3-5 minute test, then simply click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file.

Comment

Working...