Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbattistoni
    • Jan 2002

Unable to get any audio

HELP! I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't seem to get through this. I have a DVD video of a product demonstration that I would like to convert to an AVI or MPEG file for easier distribution. I have SmartRipper and FlaskMPEG. I rip the vob file from the dvd and then use FlaskMPEG to convert the file. Everything works great for the video but I can't get any audio.
    When I open the file (VTS_01_0.IFO) it lists both a video ("0.-Duration: 0:05:59") and an Audio Track ("English - LPCM audio") yet when I go to Flask the file, it only gives me Audio. I go to the Audio tab on the Flask MPEG Options window and only the "Don't process audio" radio button is enabled. Why???? Like I said I'm sure its something simple. Please let me know the error of my ways!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe that the simple answer to your question is that Flask is incapable of handling LPCM-format audio...

Comment

• dbattistoni
      • Jan 2002

Can anything?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

German transalation requested please

Although others may have more meaningful answers to offer, I can only speculate that some of the DVD authoring tools have this capability.

I've found some information that appears to address your problem - but it's in German. Perhaps someone at thsi site can translate this for you. I believ it indicates that you can extract the audio by using SmartRipper or other named software:

"du must den sound mit smartripper extrahieren (geht allerdings nur bei stereo, muttertag ist aber mono), oder du benutzt dvd2avi (ebenfalls nur stereo) oder du benutzt meinen lpcm-extraktor (stereo und mono, aber noch recht instabil).

oder du extrahierst (demux) mit vstrip nur den stream 0xa0 ohne header (also raw pcm) und lädst diesen pcm stream mit cool edit (48000 hertz, 16 bit, mono, motorola byte order) und speicherst ihn danach als windows pcm (wav) wieder ab. falls die länge des files oder die tonhöhe nicht stimmt, dann wechsel von mono zu stereo, die anderen parameter bleiben gleich."

You also might want to check out the listings under this url:

Last edited by setarip; 20 Jan 2002, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• dbattistoni
          • Jan 2002

thanks for the help. I was able to use SmartRipper to rip out only the audio into a separate VOB file. Now that that is done, is there anyway to combine the files?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I was able to use SmartRipper to rip out only the audio into a separate VOB file"

Is the audio now in .AC3 format, or yet something else?

Comment

• dbattistoni
              • Jan 2002

When I use Flask to Open the audio only file, it still lists it as a LPCM file. When I click the Flask It button, it give me an error: "An error occured when opening this file." Really descriptive.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

I guess you'll still have to find a way to convert the audio file to something other than LPCM - I'm pretty sure that Gold Wave won't do it, perhaps Cool Edit can...

Comment

Working...