• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bjoander
    • Sep 2003

Converting xvid/divx -> SVCD

Hi

This is my first post

I use virtualdub to take the sound out from the divx/xvid (wav) and use TMPEGEnc to convert the file to SVCD, but the quality SUCKS.

Is there any other way to do this without like dropping 50% in quality?

The divx/xvid's i'm trying to convert is perfect quality.

Hoping to get some good hints.

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Is there any other way to do this without like dropping 50% in quality?"

1) Have you played the SVCD on a standalone DVD player connected to a television - which is what the format is specifically designed for?

2) What settings have you used under TMPGEnc?

Comment

• bjoander
      • Sep 2003

1) Yes, it looks bad.

2) Selecting SVCD (pal) and use CBR standard format (dunno what it means) and video type : non interlace, aspect ratio: 1:1.

Don't touch anything else, do you know what i can do to improve the quality?

And another Q: The movie i'm converting is in widescreen format but when i encode the output is fullscreen, how can i fix this ?

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

For widescreen under advanced settings tab select 16:9PAL and center(keep aspect ratio). Did you remember to load the PAL SVCD template before render?

Comment

• bjoander
          • Sep 2003

Ok, that fixed it.

What's the difference: 16:9 625 line PAL and 16:9 Display ?

Anythings else i need to change ? to get the best quality.

Probably silly questions, but i really don't know

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• bjoander
            • Sep 2003

Another thing.

When i separate the sound from the avi (virtualdub) and load it the mpg output file is 1,4GB (perfect for 2 cds) but when i only load the avi the output mpg file is way bigger, like 3,5 GB, anyone know why?

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

The audio stream must be a LPCM wav to make that great a difference. You can convert it to a smaller MPEG2 audio (mp2) by loading the audio stream you demuxed in VD into the audio source window of TMPGenc and clicking "start".

Comment

• bjoander
                • Sep 2003

Yes i know, that's what i'm doing.

Maybe i don't explain very well, but my question was why the difference is so big when i load the ripped .wav i made with VD seperately "audio source" than when i only load the .avi ? (tmpgenc)

And do you know the difference: 16:9 625 line PAL and 16:9 Display ?

Thanks

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Appearantly when you load the wav separately it's being converted to mp2 and when you load the complete avi it's not. To confirm this, demux the audio stream out of both finished mpgs using TMPGenc's demultiplex found in MPEG Tools...and check the extensions of the audio files (an LPCM wav is humongus compared to mp2...but both are perfectly acceptable DVD format. Also...I'm an NTSC user...so I have no familiarity with either 16:9 625line PAL or 16:9 display...I suggested PAL since you're using it. As long as you're curious, why not try Display and see if it works for you? Half of this business is trial and error.

Comment

Working...