X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loxley
    • Oct 2003

DVD on a CD

Hi all,

A mate of mine gave me a DVD which he'd copied onto a CD - Before giving it to me he tested it in a DVD player and it worked. When I tried to play it on my X-Box it didn't work, but I don't have another DVD player. Putting it in my CD drive I can read all the files fine. My PC recognises it as a video-CD and tries to play it but I get an mmsystem 296 error.

Any ideas on how I can get this disc to work (either on PC or X-box), possibly by converting to a different format on PC and reburning? Remember - I have no PC DVD drive (although I do have a CDRW)

Hope someone can help, thanks

lox
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Please list here ALL of the folder names and filenames that appear on the CD...

Comment

• loxley
      • Oct 2003

hi setarip, thx 4 taking an interest....
      Folders in root:

Cdi
      Ext
      Mpegav
      Segment
      Vcd

Contents:
      Cdi: Cdi_imag.rtf, Cdi_text.fnt, Cdi_vcd.app, Cdi_vcd.cfg
      Ext: Lot_x.vcd, Psd_x.vcd, Scandata.dat
      Mpegav: Avseq01.dat
      Segment: {empty}
      Vcd: Entries.vcd, Info.vcd, Lot.vcd, Psd.vcd

Cheers

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

You have, in fact, an MPEG1-VideoCD.

I don't know if the XBox is capable of playing it.

If you load it into your PC, open Windows Media Player and "drag & drop" the file named "AVSEQ001.DAT" onto the black window. It should start to play automatically...

Comment

• loxley
          • Oct 2003

err...Maybe i don't have the codec or something but media player says: "cannot play back the file. The format is not supported" when i click details it says:

Windows Media Player does not support this file type
          Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000

You think its a codec?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"You think its a codec?"

Nope - Required software support for MPEG1-VideoCDs ("VCD") is part of the Windows installation.

On the outside chance that it's actually an MPEG2-SuperVideoCD ("SVCD"), try playing it back using a software DVD player, such as WinDVD (I say "outside chance" because the filename for SVCD would normally be "AVSEQ01.MPG").

If it won't play under a software DVD player, it would be safe to assume that the CD is flawed...

Comment

Working...