Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KrypticChewie
    • Oct 2003

How to get the best quality/performance

What exactly should I use to encode the highest quaity/ best performance divx files? As in what program is the best and what codec is the best?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

GordianKnot & DVX are your best bets. The codecs DivX and/or XviD are the current favourite codecs to use (which you like will depend on one's personal preference, hence my recommendation to try both and compare them).

Comment

• KrypticChewie
      • Oct 2003

Ok. But why exactly when I use Flask and DivX 5.1 the results aren't usually as good as others? My movies require much more processing power to run nd don't look as good as others which run better.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Flask has inferior resizing algorithms for one, resulting in hard-to-compress images.

There are heaps of other problems (most I have personally experienced and some that I have read about). As soon as I learned about better alternatives out there, I have completely abandoned Flask and never come back to using it. Only God and the creator of Flask knows what other evils lurk in that buggy program ...

Comment

• KrypticChewie
          • Oct 2003

I encoded a movie at highest quality using DivX 5.1 using a bitrate calculator to get bitrate that would fit on a cd. Now it runs poorly. Why is that. I have a similar file with better quality I downloaded and it runs better. i think it was in DivX3 or 3vix. What's the best codec to use? Btw I was using Flask, does that impact that much as opposed to another program for encoding?

Comment

• divxdude
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2001

dont use flask, Use VirtualDub with DivX 5.1

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

KrypticChewie,

Did you read my post at all?

Comment

• KrypticChewie
                • Oct 2003

I only have Flask and Virtual Dub. How can you use dual pass in Virtual dub? And can VirtualDub do Ifo parasing?
                I'd get alternatives if I had somethng more than dial-up.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"And can VirtualDub do Ifo parasing?"

No...

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

"How can you use dual pass in Virtual dub?"

By configuring it from the codec's configuration (Video tab -> Compression), similar to what you have been doing under Flask.

"And can VirtualDub do Ifo parasing?"

No. For that you need to use a frameserver, such as vFAPI or Avisynth (guides on using them are available on this site, so check them out).

"I'd get alternatives if I had somethng more than dial-up"

These "alternatives" are only a few hundreds of kylobytes to download each, taking only 1-3 minutes to download on a 56K dial-up. You have no excuse there.

Comment

Working...