Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oilop
    • May 2003

Compression (DVDShrink)

I just used DVDDhrink v2.3 to Compress a short action segment of a movie at various ratios, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, and 50%.
    I was hoping to find the maximum acceptable to me. In the past I have not wanted to shrink a movie more than 20% for fear that I would see obvious degradation in the movie on my TV. After viewing these various compressions on my PC I did not see any obvious loss of quality even at 50%. And to my delight I didn't see any obvious loss on my TV either.

Q: What losses would I see in compression?

Q: If I upgrade my TV to something better (HDTV) for example,
    would the loss be more prominent?

Q: In the opinion of the more experienced what should be the
    maximum compression I ought to use given the possibility of
    a TV upgrade?

Oilop
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

There is no one set answer to how much compression is acceptable. Each DVD is different regarding:

Total initial filesize
    High-action or otherwise
    Colorful or otherwise
    Original quality

Comment

• oilop
      • May 2003

"There is no one set answer to how much compression is acceptable. Each DVD is different regarding: "

Ok, you anserewed question 3, which was ambigous anyways, but what about the first 2 questions.

Oilop

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"And to my delight I didn't see any obvious loss on my TV either."

You're answering your first question yourself

Logic dictates that, in general, the bigger the screen and the higher the resolution, the greater the POSSIBILITY that you may be able to observe "quality reduction". But, the answer to this question (as well as your first and third) still remains the same as my initial response:

There is no one set answer to how much compression is acceptable. Each DVD is different

So, as it turns out, "one answer fits all" ;>}

Comment

• oilop
          • May 2003

I sapose then, the question is now directed to those of you that may have a high deffinition TV. What sort of compression do you use and still find very good quality?

Bottom line is, I don't want to compress the lfe out of long movies so that they fit on a single DVD and find out down the road after I purchase a better TV that all my movies look terrible.

Oilop

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

(I'm sure you'll be happy to know that this is my last post to this thread)

"I sapose then, the question is now directed to those of you that may have a high deffinition TV. What sort of compression do you use and still find very good quality?"

The answer STILL remains the same - Each DVD is different...

Comment

• oilop
              • May 2003

"The answer STILL remains... "

Right! I should have known.

Comment

Working...