X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTS
    • Nov 2003

PC video capture advice/questions.

Hi,

I'm new to the world of PC video capture, and would like some advice. I want to capture what I have on video cassette and eventually put it onto DVD. The first step for me is to actually capture what's on the video cassette, and I want the video/audio quality to be good. Here I have listed what I have for a basic setup:

AMD athlon 1.3ghz, 256mb memory, 28gig empty spare harddrive.
    Geforce AGP V6800 Deluxe Graphics Card with s-video input.
    Videologic Sonicfury soundcard with mini-jack (line-in and mic) input.
    Standard VCR with composite outputs
    Composite to s-video cable.
    Composite to minijack cable.

If anyone can see me running into any future problems with this setup, please advise me on what to upgrade to. I also have bunch of questions I'd like to ask, (deep breath):

What is the best /most popular software for video capture?
    Do I use the line-in or mic minijack inputs?
    Do I record the audio mono or stereo for TV playback?
    How much space on a hard drive would a 3 hour DVD quality capture use up?
    How much (time-wise) can you fit onto a single sided DVDR?

Lastly, is there anyone reading this in Los Angeles who can provide a VCR to DVD service for cash? Failing that, a cheap lab in LA that can provide the service? Just in case this causes me to lose my mind

Thanks very much, I appreciate any response.

Paul S.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I assume tht GE Force video card with the S Video input is a capture card as well as a video card. If so, it came with documentation on how to use it for capture and a CD disc with recommended software for that purpose (most video cards do not capture...and as such, need another capture card or external piece of hardware for that purpose. Do a Google search...find the GE Force site...look up the specs for your card...see if they have a user forum...send their Support an email.

Comment

• PTS
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a capture card, and I've looked into how it works and what it can do... seems basic but pretty good. My posting was more to see if my PC specs were up for the job, and to get some advice / ask a few questions.

Paul S.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Not delved into conversion myself yet but we're talking around 2Gb per hour although trading off quality for space, compression can give you more.

I think it'll be a slow process with your CPU. You'll need to capture to AVI for example, then encode to mpeg2, before authoring to a DVD with the possible interim stage of burning a DVD image on your hard drive for testing before puting to DVD.

As you can see, that drive space is gonna disappear rapidly .. along with your time!
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

Your PC is powerful enough. If your capture card doesn't limit itself to a specific software for capture you might download a trial version of ULead VideoStudio 7 (I'm not sure about your card...but VS7 MIGHT be able to capture in MPEG (if it recognizes it.) The advantage is 1 hour MPEG+2-4GB vs 1 hour AVI=12+GB. If VS7 doesn't work with your card VirtualDub is freeware (that captures in AVI). Normally you wouldn't use linein for sound...but since s Video is only for video, in your case you probably have to...unless the card has separate jacks, itself. In any case...without left/right audio input as well as left/right VCR audio output you are limited to mono. DVD-R's are limited to 4.7GB...not time (I've gotten as much as 6 hrs on one.)

Comment

Working...