Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Protenon
    • Dec 2003

Adobe Premier sound problems

I'm using Adobe premier to take clips from a movie (in avi format) I have and put them into a movie i'm making. I take clips from the AVI file and use the mark in and mark out tools to mark what clip i want, and then use the insert tool to put it into my time line. Then when I play the clip, it works fine in the "source" window but the only sound i get from it in the "program" window is a scratchy, crackly sound.

The audio info for the movie file is this in case it might help:

Audio track 1:
    Size is 63.37MB bytes
    Rate is 48000 samples/sec
    Sample size is 16 bits
    Compatible compressor: MPEG Layer-3 Codec
    Compression ratio is 10.37:1

Also, is there a better way to take clips from a movie file and put them into your time line than to use the "mark in" and "mark out" tools (like is there a way to manually type in what min, sec and frame you want the clip to start and stop instead of having to use those tools)?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Do you have an .MP3 audio codec installed on your system? If not, download and install one - then reboot.

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3)format (which Premier may not be able to process probably).

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) Save with a new filename

Comment

• Protenon
      • Dec 2003

The info is here:

It doesn't appear to be in the VBR mp3 format. This is the only problem i've had with audio for playing movies and such on my comp so i'm pretty sure i have an mp3 codec installed.

The movie plays fine in Adobe premier when it's in the "source" window but just not when it's in the "program" window.

Thanks for the help too.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"It doesn't appear to be in the VBR mp3 format."

1) What makes you say that?

2) It is also indicated that the audio is monaural, which probably accounts for the "a scratchy, crackly sound"

I'd still suggest you follow what I've proposed. It will both convert the audio to stereo and .WAV format...

Comment

• Protenon
          • Dec 2003

Alright, it worked. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks a lot."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• wakd
              • Feb 2006

Hi Setarip i had the same problems and your suggestions worked for me as well which is good because i was pulling my hair out ha ha. The only thing i notice now is that the video and audio is not in sync (together) do you know how to correct this please?

Comment

Working...