Recording VCR to DVD (without a computer)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTS
    • Nov 2003

Recording VCR to DVD (without a computer)

Hi,

I've looked into the technical aspects of transferring old video cassettes to DVD via computer, and it sounds like it could be a real headache. I'm quite curious about cutting out the middle-man and just using a TV system. I wanted to ask the experts what I'd need to go about this. Only a VCR, a TV, and a DVD recorder (the expensive part) I'm guessing? The DVDR would record straight from the TV signal, right? How would everything be hooked up? Any tip on what models are really good (and don't break the bank)? I'm guessing a lot of the $300+ models from this site would do the job:

Find great deals on Dvd recorder DVD Players, including discounts on the Philips DVP314037 Slim DVD Player.

Thanks.

Paul S.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

First off, let me agree about the headache - you're quite right there ... but,
    one of the advantages of using the computer as an interim stage is you can edit, construct menus, compress the files to beyond MPEG2, construct the enire DVD structure for testing, write to DVD±RW for further testing before commiting to DVD±R.
    Another advantage is, that is, if you already own a computer of adequate specs, a DVD burner can cost less that half that of a standalone DVDR.
    I'm only saying all this as I have no experience of standalone DVDR's whatsoever
    Last edited by sfheath; 9 Dec 2003, 05:54 AM.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• PTS
      • Nov 2003

This is very true, but from what I've just found out (after doing extra homework) is you can edit with say, the DVD RAM feature (4.17 gigs of memory) on a Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD recorder, and you can pick one up for for as little as $350.

Besides, after having to buy a good capture card, a larger harddrive, and an dvd burner, I don't know if I'd be saving much?

Paul S.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Valid point PTS and another bonus is instant superior quality recordings from live broadcast without tying up the computer ..

BUT ..

would you have the freedom of say, compressing to DivX thus saving you discs?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• PTS
          • Nov 2003

Probably not, but there are always pros and cons with every method.

I could always use the stand alone recorder as a capture device and then transfer everything from the DVDR disc over to my harddrive for editing, menus, compression, and eventually a reburn. It's all very exciting, I now just have to save up a bit of cash for all these goodies.

Paul S.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

If your video cassettes are COMMERCIAL media, you may be sorely disappointed to discover that they contain Macrovision protection (video "pulsates" periodically, gradually going from extremely dark to extremely light - or a white band occupies the middle third of the video). I'm fairly certain that tabletop DVD recorders will, at best, record WITH the visible distortions or refuse to record at all...

Comment

• PTS
              • Nov 2003

Thanks for the info, but all of what I have are old video cassettes of TV broadcasts.

To complicate things, I'm from the UK and living in the US, and all of this stuff is PAL. So I'll have to get a multi-region VCR and a convertor box. I looked into VCRs that automatically convert the signal internally (such as the Samsung SV-5000W), but these are apparently poorly built and many recommend that that you buy these elements separately. Has anyone got advice in this area?

Paul S.

Comment

• AMD2400
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by setarip
                If your video cassettes are COMMERCIAL media, you may be sorely disappointed to discover that they contain Macrovision protection (video "pulsates" periodically, gradually going from extremely dark to extremely light - or a white band occupies the middle third of the video). I'm fairly certain that tabletop DVD recorders will, at best, record WITH the visible distortions or refuse to record at all...

DVD Video Decoder (MacroVision remover)

Comment

• mjnelson99
                  • Dec 2003

My Panasonic NTSC TV has front and rear audio/video jacks. I found out I can connect a VCR to the rear jacks, a video capture cards cables to the front jacks and whatever is playing on the vcr will go to the capture card through the tv with NO Macrovision. I did a short capture of a commercial film I have just to give my daughter a sample of what a video capture looks like. Then it dawned on me that Macrovision was not activated.
                  If your TV also has front and rear jacks, you might be able to use a second vcr and connect its inputs to the TV and record that way. An interesting possibility.

Comment

• PTS
                    • Nov 2003

My TV does have front and rear video/audio jacks. If I do run into any problems, I'll give that a try.

Thanks very much!

Paul S.

Comment

• mjnelson99
                      • Dec 2003

I found this link to a device that is supposed to disable Macrovision. The price is pretty reasonable.
                      Take a look if you are interested.

M

Comment

• megamachine
                        Video Fiddler
                        • Mar 2003

Regarding your concern about NTSC/PAL issues, I had a similar problem with wanting to digitize both NTSC and PAL tapes. The multisystem PAL VCR that I had played back both formats, and I suspect most consumer grade ones are like this, but the output for NTSC was a pseudo NTSC signal that TVs could read but which did not work as a true conversion for DVDs. I ended up ordering a standard NTSC VCR from the states, for about 100USD, and use that without a problem for my NTSC tapes. For your projects, just be sure that the output you have is a full PAL or NTSC signal.

Comment

• PTS
                          • Nov 2003

Thanks, that's good to know.

Though possibly avoiding having to buy two VCRs, is there a VCR available that's strong with both PAL and NTSC signal?

Paul S.

Comment

• megamachine
                            Video Fiddler
                            • Mar 2003

Not that I know of, and anyway it would probably cost more than two separate consumer grade ones. If you find one, let me know.

Comment

Working...