Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidra
    • Jan 2004

Two basic questions....

Pretty basic questions, I'm sure, but I appreciate the help.
    1. I've ripped some clips to folders as VOB files. Why can't I open them with Roxio movie studio, which theoretically can open any MPEG file? What is the difference between a VOB file and an MPEG2 file?
    2. To combine these clips, TMPG Author has been recommended. What other software can do this? Any free software? Thanks.....
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A .VOB is an enhanced subset of MPEG2. It can contain a videostream, plus multiple audiostreams and subtitle streams - whereas a "standard" MPEG2 file will contain one videostream and one audiostream...

Comment

• davidra
      • Jan 2004

Is there a way to convert a VOB file to a file (I would assume MPEG) that can be used with my OEM movie editor? Or must I get the authoring software?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Try ripping with DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 in file mode ("all files") and then 'DVDShrink will open the movie and you can re-author, start/end, etc..
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

check here www.dvdrhelp.com in the tools section. I use TDA almost exclusively. Easy to use, excellent results.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Is there a way to convert a VOB file to a file (I would assume MPEG)"

Use the regular "TMPGEnc" program–different than "TMPGEnc DVD Author". Under "File" > "Mpeg Tools" > "De-multiplex" load your VOB file. This will allow you to save your video stream as a .m2v file, and the audio stream as an ac3 or mp2. Then select "Multiplex" and add the >.m2v and .ac3 (or .mp2) to form an mpeg 2 file.

Comment

• davidra
              • Jan 2004

You guys are great, thanks. I'll get to work.....

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"You guys are great, thanks. I'll get to work....."

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

Working...