Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HotAir
    • Feb 2004

AVI Problems

Hello All, I have been tinkering with videos for a while but have run up against a problem which I dont know how to handle.

I have a AVI file (Xvid and AC3sound) which I wanted to reencode to MPEG-2 and MP2 sound.
    The AVI file had some bad frames in the middle but played ok before and after the bad frames.
    I tried deleteing the bad frames with VirtualDub but ran into all sorts of problems.
    First off when I opened the AVI in VirtualDub it warned me that the sound will be up to 12 seconds out of sync if I continue.
    Well I continued anyway (keeping a copy of the original) and proceeded in deleting the bad frames of the video.
    I saved the file as an AVI and just used stream copy as the video option.
    I thought I had a winner as the sound was fine before where I cut the video. However after the cut the sound is now miles out of sync.
    So I tried cutting the video up into good bits but ended up with the same thing happening. 1 good bit all the rest with audio sync problems.
    How do I get around this problem.
    Any guidance would be appreciated. I know it should be straight forward but it has got me stumped.

I also have a problem with the AC3 extraction and conversion to MP2 as I don't know how to do it.

thanks for any help.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I have a AVI file (Xvid and AC3sound) which I wanted to reencode to MPEG-2 and MP2 sound."

Load your original Xvid into "TMPGENc" (different from TMPGENc DVD Author). Use on of the "Project Wizard" Templates-either DVD or SVCD for mpeg 2. If you have trouble loading the file into TMPGENc, do the following:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority.

Once you have successfully encoded the Xvid to Mpeg 2 and you wish to "Cut" the movie, use the "Merge and Cut" feature under "Mpeg Tools" to accomplish that task.

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

"I also have a problem with the AC3 extraction and conversion to MP2 as I don't know how to do it."

Use a proggram called "BeSweet"

Comment

• HotAir
        • Feb 2004

I cannot open the AVI with TPMG if it has AC3 sound in it.
        It comes up with a message "Unsupported file format". However if the AVI has any other sound it does not do this.So I figure I have to seperate the sound and video somehow.
        Am I missing something?

Additionally are you saying I should encode the video even with the bad frames in the middle?
        Won't the encoder just crash when it gets to the bad frames?
        I was using HeadAC for the conversion from AC3 to MP2 but it was crashing also at the bad frames.
        So I figured I had to cut the bad data out someway.

Does BeSweet get through the corrupt frames and still remain in sync (I mean video and audio sync after the bad frames.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"I cannot open the AVI with TPMG if it has AC3 sound in it"

Did you raise the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" to the highest priority in TMPGENc?

"Does BeSweet get through the corrupt frames and still remain in sync (I mean video and audio sync after the bad frames."

BeSweet just deals with audio files separately. You have to "De-multiplex" the audio from the video to load into BeSweet.

Comment

• HotAir
            • Feb 2004

OK will give your suggestions a try when I get home tonight.

Will get back to you tomorrow with what I can do.

I have a feeling it still will not work as TPMGEnc just did not start with the AC3 Audio in the AVI. I will adjust the setting of "Direct Show" to the highest setting and give it another go.

Thanks for your help in this.

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"Thanks for your help in this."

Glad to be of help, and hope it works.

Comment

• HotAir
                • Feb 2004

You were right about the "direct show option" its encoding the video at the moment.
                I haven't seen what its done to the bad segment yet but it looks like thing will work out.
                I was just trying to make it harder than it was.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"Thanks for all of your advice."

Again, glad to be of help, and it appears that it is working.

Comment

Working...