Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radish01001
    • Mar 2004

Mpeg, Avi troubles.

Hello. I'm just looking for a quick response here since I'm sure this question had to have been asked in the past. I read through several threads which sounded like my problem, but I didn't find anything.
    I'm having problems with mpeg and avi playback on every program I try to playback with. The videos are showing up as 2 minutes or less, though in reality they are over 30 minutes. If I move through the timeline I can see parts of the whole movie, but if I let the movie play through, it will only play the remaining time of the 2 minutes. This started happening pretty recently. I was told by someone it might be one file, I think it was avisynth.dll. I renamed it, I think it was just a codec of sorts. Also pretty recently, I installed tmpgenc and virtaldub. I thought maybe this was the problem, but I think I only extracted them, (I can't remember if they come with installs) ANYWAY, if there is a thread like this already, please redirect me. If not, any and all help is very much appreciated seeing as how I have a nice big video project due in a couple of weeks. Thanks.
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

You might stand a better chance of getting replies if you provide more details about your problem, e.g. what kind of MPG and AVI files you have, if you made them or got them somewhere else, what software you are using to play, and what you intend to do. If you load the files into VirtualDubMod (which is different than, though based on, VirtualDub, but which also reads MPGs), and then select File Information in the File menu, you can find some details of the files that'll give better indications of what you have.

Comment

• radish01001
      • Mar 2004

The problem is about as basic as it sounds. It's happening with both homemade mpg and avi files and files I've downloaded from other places. I've tried MANY different movie players and the problem is the same. It's confusing to describe what's happening but I can try harder.

Some of my MPG and AVI files have recently stopped working correctly. (Even ones I have downloaded as recently as today have started doing this) I do not know what to attribute this to. The movies vary in timelength, but each is over 20 minutes. To name what they're for is irrelevant. What is happening is: Each time I play one of these 20- minute- or- longer movies, they are not recognized as their ACTUAL time length. Instead, the movie player (every one I've tried) only recognizes them as about 2 minutes long. If I move the playbar around the timeline of the movie, I can see scenes from the entire movie. If I stop anywhere on the timeline, the movie will continue to play from where I stopped, for the REMAINING time, and not the full 20 minutes.

To make it as blunt as possible: Movies are showing incorrect time lengths and are not playing the full movie, rather they are only playing a small segment.

The reason I mention VirtualDub and TMPGenc before, was because I thought maybe the recent additions to those programs to my computer could have started this problem, since the problem is only about 2 weeks old.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If your O/S is WinXP, simply do a system restore to a date PRIOR to installing the software you've mentioned...

Comment

• radish01001
          • Mar 2004

I found out what it was. I had 2 programs that added a .ak file called mcesmpeg.ak. I renamed the file and poof everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the help anyway."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• needinghelp
              • May 2004

I have the exact same problem. However on search I cannot come up with any of the files he listed.

I have XP Pro with all the current updates. I have windows media player 9, DivX Player, Asus Digital DVD, and mplayer2.

No matter what program I try to open the file up with it shows 20 seconds, this file in particular is 7 minutes and 6 seconds long. I know this because if I open it on my second PC the file plays perfectly. If I click the timebar I am able to scroll through the movie but it will only play a few seconds at a time from the point I click on.

I tried copying this file to the second pc and renaming it then copying it back as a new file with the same results.

There are a few movies that I have tried to open that are the exact way but most of them play normal.

I uninstalled DivX, the Media player hotfix, then media player. Rebooted then reinstalled them in reverse order.

I dont know how long this has been going on, I went to edit an old video and found this when I tried to play it!

Any suggestions, test, other? I am willing to try. I am willing to post any other needed system information.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• needinghelp
                • May 2004

OK, got more info.

If i create a new profile in XP, everthing is good under that profile!

Comment

Working...