Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davemon40
    • Mar 2004

Windvd error: can't find any cd-rom or dvd-rom device

"CAN'T FIND ANY CD-ROM/DVD-ROM DEVICE" is the error WINDVD4, and also version 3, give me when I try to play a movie.

I have a Toshiba SD-M1302 on a Quantex 733 MHZ running Windows 98SE. The DVD-ROM works, I've use it to load programs like Encarta, and even this WINDVD program. DVD movies with Interactual player load and the player works. But neither version of WINDVD work.

I used to have WINDVD3 on my computer and it worked fine to play movies. Since then I've had to installe a new MOBO (could this be the problem? new one is TYAN S1854), and reformatted and reinstalled Windows. I now have WINDVD 4, but reloaded version 3 to see if that would work, and now both versions give me that error.

System properties indicated the CD and DVD are fine, and the DVD firmware is latest version (1006 for this player). I've been searching for days to find someone else with this error and have tried numerous things. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
  • dunc4n
    • Mar 2004

well the MOBO might be the problem, i've got a program called power DVD and that works fine no problems what so ever, this program picks up every ROM deviec you might have from smartmedia to compact flash. i had WINDVD and it kept coming up with errors so i gave up on it and found a new program.
    change WINDVD to power DVD this works way better, trust me. if not then i don't know what else is the problem.
    hope this helped you abit

Comment

• davemon40
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for responding. I've heard and read good things about Power DVD, so I may wind up trying it. Especially after trying to deal with customer support for WINDVD. They take forever to respond, if at all, and then offer help that's pretty much useless.

Any idea if there might be any utilities I overlooked from the motherboard CD when I reinstalled Windows?

Comment

• dunc4n
        • Mar 2004

not really, i would just stick with Power DVD if it ain't gonna find your DVD device then don't bother with it any more. the utilities you are talking about will not be on the cd, unless it is a custom built cd like i have it had all the software and patches that were needed to run the program. to cut a long story short, jus change to Power DVD. soz about it being abit long winded

Comment

• davemon40
          • Mar 2004

PowerDVD didn't resolve problem

I downloaded a trial version of PowerDVD 5 and I still have issues with the player. This one starts up and tries to load the movie, then the "STOP" command shows up in the upper right corner of the window.

The configuration window tells me my region code is not specified. How do I specify it, and is it required?

Comment

• dunc4n
            • Mar 2004

well all DVDs have certain 'REGION CODES' which decides on which DVD player it can be played on. You will need to set your configuration to REGION FREE if you can. Mine was already setup to do that so i wouldn't know how to set it up unless i get some help from the makers of my PC.My PC was custom built to the highest specs and all the software thati has was already unlocked even my HDD was patched so it can go over 160GB. You could try to download a patch for it so it unlocks the REGION settings and sets it to REGION FREE. If you cannot find anything like that then i am stumped aswel as you are.

Comment

• davemon40
              • Mar 2004

Any other suggestions anyone?

Well, I downloaded DVD GENIE and tried messing with that, but still nothing. Anyone with more suggestions?

Summary: WINDVD says it can't find the drive, and sometimes I've seen it say "Eject" when I tried to start it up. And PowerDVD puts up the message "Stop" when I try to start it up, and then nothing.

Anything to do with my mapped network drives to my other computer? Both programs seem to know the difference between the drives. At my wits end with this !

Comment

• dunc4n
                • Mar 2004

i would give up now with the programs and seek help from a PC EXPERT. i cannot think of anything else that could be effecting your DVD players.

so Davemon40 seek help from 'higher people' than us.

Comment

• davemon40
                  • Mar 2004

Not just yet...

Time to get mad at it, I've got some new ideas. Now that I know it's not specifically related to WINDVD.

Comment

• marcj420
                    • Apr 2004

I had the same error. I am running windows 98 on a 500Mhz AMD With 384MB RAM, Video= nVidia GeForce 2 32MD. I resolved the issues first by downloading and installing nVidias latested drivers software. Then on the WinDVD cd I opened the 3rdPartyApp folder and installed all of the updated drivers in there. I had to reboot a few times but when it was all over I was back in bussiness.

Comment

• gamesrule
                      • Apr 2004

Post removed.

gamesrule: See rules 5 and 6:

Last edited by admin; 22 Apr 2004, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To davemon40

DirectX "likes" to be the last program to be installed - so try reinstalling it now...

Comment

• davemon40
                          • Mar 2004

I have the latest Nvidia driver(s) installed, so there was nothing to update, I just checked. As for the 3rd party apps, there was nothing in that directory that I could update, except for the HTML help, the Wextract program, and the ASPI updates which were for a different version of Windows (2000). There was another directory for DirectX 8, but I didn't think it wise to go back to version 8 since version 9 is intalled now. Am I wrong about that?

Comment

• davemon40
                            • Mar 2004

I will try re-installing DirectX now. Incidentally, I forgot to mention that I just bought and installed a late model Toshiba DVD-ROM (model 1712), and I still have the same problem, clearly eliminating a problem with the original drive.

Comment

• gamesrule
                              • Apr 2004

hehehe my comp work now fine thanx all

Comment

Working...