X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvusBlue
    • Dec 2001

WMP 9 "Cannot copy" .WMV file (not P2P)

Hello,

I am painfully new to the process of DVD/CD burning and I have a few questions:

1. I have "downloaded" an .WMV file from a members-only site on the internet (not P2P). I put downloaded in quotes because the site no longer allows me to "Save" the file directly to my HD. When I click on the link, WMP 9 opens and it starts buffering. Once the transfer is complete I can view the movie with WMP 9 but when I click "Copy to CD or Device" under Status it reads "Cannot copy" (there is no other info. that I can see). I'm wondering if the file has an "embedded" copyright "flag" that is preventing WMP 9 from copying it. If that is the case, what are my alternatives for saving this movie either (a) to a CD or DVD, or (b) to my hard drive?

2. I have a new custom-built tower that is running AMD XP 2500+ Barton (approx. 1.83 GHz). Memory is 512 Mb. I am using the MSI DR-4A combination CD/DVD burner (internal). CD drive is E & DVD drive is F. I want to burn this movie (and others) to a DVD but WMP only recognises Drive E. If I can copy this movie with WMP how would I make it recognise Drive F for a DVD?

I'm running XP Pro, if that's important. My connection is dial-up. Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I put downloaded in quotes because the site no longer allows me to "Save" the file directly to my HD."

If you are a member of this "members only site", why don't you send an email to the site administrator describing your problem?

Comment

• AvusBlue
      • Dec 2001

The reason that I have not contacted them is because I think they are purposely "embedding" the file with copy-protection of some sort. If I right-click on the file name a "Protected Content" window pops up. I can download the files using Mozilla but they won't play (the site emphasizes that the files play best with Internet Explorer). All I want to do is save one copy for my own personal use.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"All I want to do is save one copy for my own personal use."

1) It would appear that the site chooses NOT to include that prerogative to members

2) You haven't stated whether you are a member

Comment

• AvusBlue
          • Dec 2001

Thank you for replying. In reply I can only think of:

1) I had already figured that out;
          2) I am in fact a member of the site

So, I gather that it is possible to embed a file with copyright "flags" (for lack of a better term) that will prevent WMP 9 from copying it. I plan on ending my membership at this site ASAP as it is just one more expense that I can do without but I want to extract as much value/info. from them (in the form of files) as I possibly can. I am a paying member, after all.

Comment

• digidragon
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2003

Try looking in your temporary internet files or temporary folder for a fairly large *.wmv file, then copy it somewhere safe.

Comment

• AvusBlue
              • Dec 2001

Thanks digidragon - that was a good idea and I thought that you were onto something but there are NO .wmv temporary internet files (or objects). When I click on a file name WMP starts immediately (after I enter my Member ID & password).

Comment

• digidragon
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2003

Okay, if it's a streaming video then it won't be saved anywhere. Try SDP Multimedia from http://sdp.ppona.com/ and see if that works.

Comment

• MPS
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2003

avusblue

well, first of all many (this site's most probabyl too) WinMedia files are copyright-protected and streaming, thus you have read-only access to them with the use of WMPlayer. if you want to save them to HDD, you need to break this copyright law using i.e. a stream-content-saving programs (there are several freewares at least).

now, a completely different issue is whether this site stated in your membership agreement, that you may download the files.

as far as your drive letter problem goes, have u tried switching the letters (dvd to e, cd to f) - maybe that'd help?

Comment

• MPS
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2003

digidragon

looks ok this sdp m-media... thanx for posting the link

Comment

• digidragon
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Dec 2003

You're welcome. It works well.

Comment

• MPS
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2003

i heard streambox vcr was also ok, thou newer files are not always handled good

Comment

Working...