Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hht55555
    • Apr 2004

Few questions from a newbie who need guidance

I'm a newbie to this forum & would like some advices.
    I've got a few avi, mpg, divx, xvid,..etc.. movie files that I would like to burn to DVDs so I can play on DVD players. (Also save room in hard drives). Here are some info that I pick up here & there, but would like some verifications from you - experience members and experts on this topic..lol..

1/ Do I need to convert those movies files to MPEG2 first? From what I read, it seems TMPGENC Plus is one of the popular program to do this task. Is this the best program I shoud use, or any better ones you can suggest?

2/ Some post indicates that audio stream of movie files need to be worked then combine before burn to DVD? Please explain. What software do I need for this task? VOBedit, IfoEdit??

3/ Most of my movie files split into 2 or 3 parts (about 700 MB each). How can I combine them continuously all in one? Again what do I need & how to make it work?

4/ Does TMPGENC DVDAuthor use for put a menu in DVD for easy to navigate when playback?

If you have time to spare, please explain step by step that I need to do.

Thanks in advance for your time to put up with this and aprreciated all of your responds, help.

Regards
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

If the audio is either .AC3 or Variable Bitrate .MP3:

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• kebabinho
      • Feb 2004

setarip:

you have that in a notepad file dont you!

This is exaclty how i do my conversions and i havent had any problems so far.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To kebabinho

"setarip:
        you have that in a notepad file dont you!"

So what's your point?

Comment

Working...