X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrDisco
    • Feb 2002

TMPGenc read error

I am trying to encode a a file using TMPG and i get the following error:

"Read error occurred at address 014B63E4 of module DVD2AVI.vfp with 01C7AD88"

I've tried re-ripping with SmartRipper twice and tried re-encoding 3 times. each time it stops at the same spot in the flick.

any ideas?
  • 1 Smelly Fish
    • Nov 2001

Hi there, what are you trying to do exactely ? i can presume you are backing up your DVD cause your using Smart Ripper to rip the VOBs to your hard drive, but what program are you using to split Audio and Video up ? DVD2AVI? If so are you following the steps set out in the turorials ? Is this the first Rip your doing?

Let us know some more info and we'll be glad to try to help you

Cheers

Comment

• MrDisco
      • Feb 2002

sorry here are some more details

1. i backed up the dvd (ranma 1/2 season 1 disc 1 episode 4 if anyone cares) to vob file using SmartRipper 2.41 (as per described in the tutorial on vcdhelp)
      2. i took the resulting vob file and used dvd2avi v1.76 with the VFAPI plugin to frame serve
      3. i took the resulting files and used TMPGenc to encode into svcd format. its here that i get the error message. i tried re-ripping the vob file and retracing my steps with the same results.

this is my 4th attempt at dvd ripping (eps 1-3 and 5 went without a hitch using the exact same settings). i'm not sure why this episdoe is giving me some grief. the only thing i can think of is trying a different program to encode with

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Just curious - have you PLAYED the .VOB to make certain that it's not flawed?

Comment

• MrDisco
          • Feb 2002

well i did play it back and it seems ok.

interestingly i just tried re-encoding and this time i get the error msg
          'can't read video'

any ideas?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Has your TMPGEnc 30 day timelimit regarding MPEG2 expired?

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
              • Nov 2001

Setarip probably has more knowledge than me about this, but just an idea if you are getting mixed error messages, perhaps try un-installing TMPGEnc and reinstalling it again or even a differnt version of it. I use TMPGEnc '1.2a' and havent had any major problems with it as yet.

yep sorry guys, fixed 12a >1.2a

Cheers
              Last edited by 1 Smelly Fish; 14 Feb 2002, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• MrDisco
                • Feb 2002

i installed TMPG about 5 days ago so the expiry shouldn't be a problem

v12a? i'm confused...i have v2.5 of TMPGenc

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Don't be confused, 1SmellyFish is actually using v.1.2A (I continue to use v.1.2C myself). Your version is a more recent edition.

Comment

• MrDisco
                    • Feb 2002

so any ideas or alternate faqs i can use. perhaps you're right and there is a problem with the original ripped vob file. its driving me nuts

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

You could try re-ripping with Flask instead of SmartRipper.

Comment

• MrDisco
                        • Feb 2002

well i just tried re-ripping with dvd decryptor and again it fails at the same spot with the error msg 'can't read video'

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
                          • Nov 2001

OK, so you have a Wave file and a .D2V file you are loading into TMPGEnc and this error comes up ? You have left the VOBs that you riped on your hard drive ? You have tried a different version of TMPGEnc (1.2a or 1.2c) ? I do know a mate had major problems with TMPGEnc clashing with a program, cant remember which one but i shall fined out.

Cheers

Comment

• MrDisco
                            • Feb 2002

i have the d2v file and the wave file. the error occurs 29% into the encoding process (the same point each time).

i have the ripped vob file as well

I have only tried the very latest version tmpgenc

i have previewd the vob file in tmpgenc and the preview plays back ok

Since I've tried a different ripper i'm inclinced to believe the ripped file is ok (unless there is some wierd setting i dont know about). again the other episodes on this disc ripped fine using the vcdhelp newbie guides so i'm at a loss as to why this is causing me grief.

(some additional tech specs: p3-933, 512mb, 30gb of free space on a 7200 rpm drive, ge2 gts 64mb card, winxp pro)

Comment

Working...