Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ken4819
    • Jan 2002

probelm with divx codec

am having a problme with iwndows 98 second edition - whne i install the divx 3.11 and divx4.12 codec i hav a problem as when i play video files encoded with these codec and click on the properties and filters i do not get the divx codec listed i only get the mpeg codec yet they are still playing - but videos with codec 4.12 play bad in full screen mode - i have windows media player 7.1 - i have already tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them need help please i am lost
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Install the older Windows Media Player v.6.4 (MPLAYER2.EXE on your Win98 installation disk) - it can coexist with v.7.xx.

2) Once again, uninstall both codecs.

3) Install the 3.11 alpha codec first. then install the 4.12 codec and answer a resounding "NO!" to "Do you want to play 3.11 files with the 4.12 codec?"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• ken4819
      • Jan 2002

no succes - need more help

ok so i tried to do as you said yet i couldn't find the mplayer2.exe in the windows 98 cd - so what i did is i uninstalled the windows media player 7 - uninstalled the codec and then reinstalled them with no succes.
      First of all how do you uninstal the divx3.11 codec there is no remove in the add/remove programs i had to use norton cleansweep - divx4.12 ok had an uninstal
      2nd i tried to play a video file when i had both codec uninstalled to see what happened and the video obviously didn't play and what i had missing in the filters was a "video renderer" filter which then reappeared whne i installed the codec and tried ot play the files it is this filter that is shown and no divx filter?
      please help me

Comment

• Thrawn
        • Jan 2002

when u install the divx4.12 bundle another video player should be installed with it called The Playa, it should be stored in crograms/theplaya, open your divx files with this one

might be that wmp 6 is already installed on your pc so u dont have to look for it (just might be), search in the windows media player folder in your programs folder for the wmplayer2.exe
        The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• ken4819
          • Jan 2002

what is this video renderer

i have installed the divx coec on my brothers computer and everything works excellent - why is it that on my computer i can't make it work - what is this video renderer thing - whne i uninstall the divx codecs and try to play an avi video i do not get this video renderer filter then on installin the divx codeec i start getting this filter rather than the divx filter as in the case on my vrothers computer - on which all the videos play extremely well

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Is it possible that your brother's system has DirectX 8 installed and yours doesn't?

Comment

• ken4819
              • Jan 2002

no i don't htink so well how can i check whether i ave directx 8 installed

Comment

• ken4819
                • Jan 2002

i have found something that may be helpful - i have a matrox g400 dual head video card - and i noticed that i have some direct draw thing in the setting and this direct draw i also find in the video renderer filter - eh does it has something to do?

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Is there an appreciable difference in the CPU speed of your computer and your brother's?

Also, try using the latest drivers for your graphics card. It may make a difference. Check that your display acceleration is enabled too.

By the way, the video renderer filter is always present when playing a movie file. I know it is for all my systems.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To ken4819

" i noticed that i have some direct draw thing"

That's indicative that you do, in fact, have some version of DirectX installed...

Comment

Working...