Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunwatt
    • Jan 2002

Full screen AVI player?

In most, if not all AVI movies, Windows Media Player only shows the movie very small. About 6" wide and 2" high. But if I convert it to mpeg I can watch it FULL SCREEN with Quick Time. With QT you can drag the viewer out to the fulll screen and the actual movie is LARGE.

You can pull WMP out to full screen but the actual movie stays the same small size.

Is there a player that will show a AVI movie as large as Quick Time?

I could avoid the time eating conversion process. And some copies of movies will not convert to MPEG due to problems. But you can watch them (small) with WMP.

thank you.. Jim (sunwatt)
  • johnbmx4christ
    • Nov 2001

it doesnt matter if its mpeg or avi....when it starts playing in media player hit alt+enter and it will go full screen.while in media player if you would click on"view" you would see that.
    john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Thrawn
      • Jan 2002

try other players like sasami2k (www.sasami2k.net) (i think it should only work in win2k well, but give it a try), The Playa, ...
      The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What version of WMP player were you refering to? With WMP7 default skin, the size of the output screen is always fixed at that (you know it). Change the skin to classic or just use the faster WMP6.4. Alt-2 will show the original size and Alt-enter will give you full-screen.

Comment

• sunwatt
          • Jan 2002

AVI full screen - 100% is grainy, how about 75% of full screen?

1st thank you for replying. I changed to classic skin and right clicked and selected full screen.

I think thats what I was supposed to do <G>

But at 100% screen, its a bit blurry, and grainy.

Is there a way to change to 75 or 80% of full screen?

Ouick Time lets you choose, can WMP7 do this too?

Thank you very much.

WindowsME

Jim (sunwatt)

Comment

• Thrawn
            • Jan 2002

use the playa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            u can easily resize the video

best to use is sasami2k, shouldnt work with all os though (it just works fine with my win2k *lol*), u can choose filters like smoothen too
            The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• sunwatt
              • Jan 2002

avi full screen

The Player dosnt always work. I tried it on several of my latest avi movies.

I did get sasami and will try it later maybe it'll work on windowsME. we'll see.

Thanks tho for replying.

Jim

Comment

• sunwatt
                • Jan 2002

Full screen AVI player

Excuse my typo... I ment The Playa dosnt work every time.
                Whe it does play a movie file its a real joy to watch and use.

After I posted I searched tucows and found the freeware YeahPlayer. It plays AVI's and others pretty well, and lets me drag the full screen to any % of full I want to get the best quality picture VS size.

Too much and the pic gets grainy, or blurs a little.

I will try sasami2k tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for that, I have the download already.

The group has been a big help!

Jim (sunwatt)

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

WMP sometimes has that problem indeed, for no apparent reasons (Graininess at full screen). It's usually not there when you've just restarted the system.

Anyway, when I do experience this problem and I can't afford to restart the computer just yet, I turn to other programs. More often than not, I use PowerDivX. I've never seen any such problems on the player, but unfortunately, ability to freely resize the screen is an issue, which does not bother someone who always watches things full screen (like me ^_^).

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
                    • Nov 2001

if you guys had better encoded videos they wouldnt be so grainy
                    john boy

Comment

• sunwatt
                      • Jan 2002

Full screen AVI player

Well in this case I converted avi to mpg with VideoWave 4.0. Whats better? TMPGE?

Last nite we watched a movie with Quick Time.

Some grainyness.

My hope was to watch just AVI's as downloaded with full screen. Not to have to convert them.

Jim

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

It would be an overkill to reencode a video just so that you won;t get graininess, and it's not guaranteed of success (and I positively believe it won't work).

WMP does indeed make the video grainy when played full-screen, esp. in the middle of a Windows session. I recently played an mpg file, which played fine in the original resolution, but started to stutter (plus graininess too) when played full-screen. Only Billy knows why.

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

Forgot to add this.

Try using other players and see which ones will suit your needs and likes better. As I stated earlier, I personally use PowerDivX (most of the time, compared to others). Most of the alternative players look better than the plain vanilla WMP.

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
                            • Nov 2001

to sunwatt:
                            "My hope was to watch just AVI's as downloaded with full screen. Not to have to convert them. "
                            that was my point..you are downloading videos...whoever is encoding them is not doing a good job if they are grainy full screen.no you shouldnt have to encode them again that would kinda suck..and yes videowave is not good to encode.probably good to edit with though and then render( or produce) as"uncompressed avi" and encode later to divx with v-dub or mpeg with tmpg.
                            there are lots of videos out there from all over the world, from experienced and begginers. you will know which is which cause when you watch it full screen it will look REALLY good.that is how i test all the vids i create. i go by the standard of full screen and most people just leave the media player however it is when they open it and it'll look better cause they dont know how to full screen.
                            john boy

Comment

Working...