Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scandib
    • Oct 2004

recording mpg files onto DVD

I'm trying to take some files of TV shows that I recorded on my computer hard disk (via my ATI-ALL-In-Wonder video card) and burn them to a DVD so I that can play them back on my Sony DVD player (which will play DVD-R and DVD+R). I have an LG DVD burner.

The files are all saved in .mpg format. What software can I use to do this?

Thanks!

Saul

(Sorry if this is answered elsewhere!)
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format)

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• scandib
      • Oct 2004

I will, thanks.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"thanks."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• scandib
          • Oct 2004

Okay, so I downloaded TMPGEnc and ran it, and I tried to convert the existing files I had recorded (which, as you will recall, were saved as .mpg files). TMPGEnc didn't like them, saying it couldn't load them. When I took a closer look at the files, it turns out they were already MPEG-2 files. (I don't know how to determine if they are already in DVD-compliant format, if that means something more than just MPEG-2-- can you elaborate?)

So I figured I could just make a DVD out of the existing files. Since I already have a copy of Adobe Encore DVD 1.0 (a friend who works at Adobe got me a discounted copy), I tried to use that instead of buying TMPGEnc DVD Author, figuring that it should have the same functionality.

Using the Burn Disk command in Encore, I was able to burn a disc that included the .mpg file, but the resulting DVD would not play back. So obviously, I did something wrong. My guess is that I missed the step of creating the required additional DVD files and structure that you mention. Do you have any idea:

1. If I can do that in Encore?
          2. And if so, how?

I guess if all else fails, I could RTFM (or work through a tutorial), but that's a last resort.

Thanks,

Saul

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

I'm totally unfamiliar with Encore....but there are many different types of DVDs you can burn. If you burned your MPEG as a "Data File" or "Image File" then you have an MPEG on the disc that can only be viewed by your computer (why do it?....off computer storage.) In order to play the DVD in a stand-alone DVD Player the MPEG2 needs to be "Authored" into a "Video DVD" format which would include IFO, BUP and a number of VOB files. If Encore won't do that then you need to buy an authoring program that will.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"buying TMPGEnc DVD Author"

You can download a FULLY FUNCTIONAL free trial version from the publisher's website at:

TMPGEnc,DVD Author,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc,Pegasys,TSUNAMI,authoring,digital,video,DVD-Video,AVI,converter,convert,movie,movies

Comment

• scandib
                • Oct 2004

Thanks, guys. After playing around some in Encore and ruining a couple of discs, I finally broke down and read the Encore tutorial on creating a basic disc, which turned out to be just enough info for me to get the job done.

So I was then able to burn a disc, complete with a simple menu, that played quite nicely in my DVD player.

At least now I have some idea of where to start. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get more into more complicated projects, but I'm good for now.

Thanks again!

Saul

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"I finally broke down and read the Encore tutorial"

I won't post my thought...

Comment

Working...