X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiltowait
    • Feb 2002

BIG problems...

Hello, and thanks for caring.
    Ok, I have a panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R/RAM combo drive. Which is reporting itself to win98 as 2 drives. One is (a removable drive?), and the other is recognized as a regular DVD-rom. I have been using DVD starter to easily do the subst thang, and DVD starter has created a virtual drive (drive g), the removable one, that I cannot get rid of. Somehow...Drive G: has attached itself to my DVD burner (drive I and wont give it up. This means my dvd burner will not work b/c its looking at the g drive instead of the (I: drive) which it really is on. I have repeatedly tried the (subst g: /d) from the run and dos prompt. It wont go away. I have used DVD Starter both before and after I added a drive letter to my system, and I think this may be the glitch that got me screwed up, Although removing that drive now does no good, so I put it back on again. My question is... What is the hard way to get rid of my virtual drive g? When the subst g: /d command doesn't work?
    Regards,
    Tilto
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You could try simply going to the Control Panel, selecting "System", selecting "Device Manager", and selecting "Disconnect" for the phantom drive...

Comment

• Tiltowait
      • Feb 2002

No Go...

I tried to disconnect the drive as you suggested in the device manager, but the disconnect checkmark was already checked!
      So I just removed the whole thing from the device manager, and it deleted. But the drive was still showing in winExp, so i restarted.
      After reboot... Still have that darned virtual drive.
      The error i get in dos when i try the subst g: /d command is:
      Parse error 10.
      What does this mean?
      Regards,
      Tilto

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

It usually means that you've typed something incorrectly. Perhaps you've inadvertently placed TWO spaces between "G:" and "/d".

But, if the drive is still showing in Explorer, look in the Contol Panel yet again and see if there's a listing for ANY kind of drive using "G:".

Are you CERTAIN that your dual drive wasn't always reflected as two drives? If it was (and is), the next time you want to map a drive, use "H:" or higher.

Comment

• Tiltowait
          • Feb 2002

OK, I believe I have solved this one. This is a two prong, non-related problem. The first was my combo drive shows the DVD-RAM as a remobable drive, so It wasn't a virtual drive at all.

Second, My DVD-r drive was freezing and crashing my system b/c I purchased two (out of three) "BAD DVD-R MEDIA"! It's always the simple things. $8.00 each for Memorex 4.7GB purchased locally (best buy). I am pissed I threw out the reciept, I usually keep those...
          Anyway, Good deals online so Im not sweating it.

Regards,

Tilto

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like this was, indeed, one prong of your problem: "Are you CERTAIN that your dual drive wasn't always reflected as two drives? If it was (and is), the next time you want to map a drive, use "H:" or higher."

Congratulations on resolving your problems ;>}

Comment

Working...