X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derboy
    • Nov 2004

AVI File Conversion Failure

Hi All,

Im another Noob who cant seem to get file conversion to work! I have a couple of AVI files that I downloaded from Kazaa and I’d like to be able to watch these in my standalone DVD player. I have WINAVI and NERO Vision Express 2 installed. I also have DVD Xcopy and Clone DVD. I have the MPEG2 plugin for NERO as well as the xvid codec for divx.

So far I have managed to use NERO to convert and burn on to DVD one movie which came in 2 parts. I merged these together using Vision Express and stuck a menu on it. Then converted it and burned it on to DVD – NO PROBLEM. Since then Ive tried a few other AVI files that I have downloaded but non have worked.

SYMPTOMS – NERO VISION EXPRESS 2 – Tells me that transcoding process has failed (usually at approx 80-90%) When I check the error log it tells me that it has run out of disk space (even when I have set it to create the DVD image on the hard drive which is a second drive, 80gb and virtually empy).

SYMPTOMS – WINAVI – Gives me exception errors and asks me if I want to “Terminate Now?” and shuts down eventually, regardless of my answer. This then leaves an incomplete DVD image on my hard drive with a .NAV file and 2-3 .VOB files.

I’ve heard a lot about AVI files having errors on them but the files in question play fine on my PC using DIVX and Windows Media player.

Ive been at this for a week now and close to tearing my hair out. Any help would be much appreciated. I have seen guides where people are using 3 or 4 different packages to encode the AVI but this seems complicated. Can anyone tell me form the information above if I have a problem with my set up or if it’s the AVI files themselves and how I can get these things onto DVD!

Cheers,

Derboy
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

"that I downloaded from Kazaa"

please read the forum rules...
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Derboy
      • Nov 2004

Imagine my dissapointment when after being informed by email that someone had posted a reply to my problem only to find the bove post.

My apologies, I read the rules for the P2P forum which says that we can mention that we downloaded something from Kazaa if we dont mention the title.

Having looked further I see that I should have posted this message in the P2P forum.

The fact that there is a P2P forum in which I can make these enquiries but not in other parts of the forum baffles me as whether this rule is in place from a legal or a moral standpoint this site still condones discussing the downloading of files by holding a P2P section.

Also downloading files from Kazaa is not illegal nor is copying them. However downloading and reproducing copyrighted works without the owners permission is.

You have assummed that the file in question was subject to copyright when in fact it may not have been.

However I have now managed to resolve my problem so no more pedantic and unhelpful repsonses are required.

I would suggest that if you cannot offer any constructive posts to those experiencing problems that you leave the enforcement of the forum rules to the moderators and not post any replys at all.

Cheers.

Derboy
      Last edited by Derboy; 5 Nov 2004, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"The fact that there is a P2P forum in which I can make these enquiries but not in other parts of the forum baffles me as whether this rule is in place from a legal or a moral standpoint this site still condones discussing the downloading of files by holding a P2P section."

FYI -

1) The "P2P" forum was closed some time ago - primarily to avoid the confusion regarding download activity.

2) Your initial posting to this thread was NOT in violation of the rules currently in effect, as your statement, "I have a couple of AVI files that I downloaded from Kazaa", properly avoids the word "movie", "DVD", etc. and/or specific mention of a commercial title

3) The rules have been implemented to make certain that there can be no threat to these "clean" (devoid of reference to pirated software, illicitly obtained commercial video media, etc.) forums by agencies such as MPAA

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

my apologies derboy.

however, i still find it hard to believe kazaa, or pretty much any other file sharing network/program, is used for any legitimate activity
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• varkie
            • Dec 2005

Hi guys, well my problem is similiar, I've got a video capture device and I'm trying to capture series, from a tape to write on DVD, okay before the red lights go on the people that I'm doing it for got the tape a a present, it is the original copy but the the problem is they don't have a VCR! I captured the tape but it came to 6.7 GB and I tied using WinAVi to compress it to 4.7GB, reason being the 8.5GB is quite expensive here. The problem is it converts it it but at the last process at 99% it gives an exception error can one of you gyus please help

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

but it came to 6.7 GB and I tied using WinAVi to compress it to 4.7GB
              How can u compress wth winavi?
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

IMO winavi isn't a very good program. You don't state what format you are capturing to. If capturing to avi I would recommend a good program such as mainconcept or Tmpgenc plus to encode the file to a dvd compliant mpeg 1/2.
                Then use Tmpgenc dvd author to author the mpeg 1/2 and make the neccessay dvd files. If the authored dvd is to large you can compress it with dvdshrinkthen burn it.

Comment

Working...