X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio Boy
    • Feb 2002

Not supported file types

I'm stumped.
    I've got a few Divx movies that I am trying to encode in order to put them on DVD. I was doing fine, but for some reason, my TMPGE encoder began saying, "File type unsupported" for virtually every movie I put in it. I have checked throughout the forum, and did note that it's possible that loading new codecs may disable old ones, and so forth.
    I'm very unclear about how the codecs work, and cannot understand how to solve the problem. I did note on earlier posts that I could get new Codecs, but really don't understand what to do with them when I download them.
    Please help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

First things first. In order to determine, what codecs (video and audio) were used to create the file(s), load one of the DivX-compressed .AVIs into VirtualDub. From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information".

Post everything listed.

Comment

• Radio Boy
      • Feb 2002

It won't even open two of them:
      It brings up an error message:

Couldn't locate decompressor for format Div3

Comment

• Radio Boy
        • Feb 2002

TMPGE driving me insane

Also........for some reason------before I even started getting the error messasges-------my TMPGE stopped working properly after encoding a video. I can no longer monitor the frames as it's being done, and the last one that I did......wasn't viewable on my Media player after the encoding was completed. It SAID it was running, but I couldn't see any video, an no error message occured either.
        TMPGE acts as if it's working okay, but I have no idea what it is actually doing.
        Is this a seperate issue?

I have no idea what is going on.
        This is turning out to be one of the most maddening projects that I've ever tried.
        I hope you can help me Setarip! (Or anybody else for that matter)

Ready to throw my computer, and blank DVD's in the pond,
        Radioboy

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format Div3"

It's looking for the DivX v.3.11alpha codec...

If you've got any different (and believe me, they are TOTALLY different, not just newer "versions" of 3.11) DivX codecs installed on your system, properly uninstall them. Then FIRST install the DivX v.3.11alpha codec. Before installing any others, see if this "cures what ails you". You can always install another verion (e.g. 4.xxx or 5.0) later, if need be -

BUT

if you do install other "flavors" answer "No!" to any that ask if you want to use THAT version to run v.3.11-formatted videos.

Let us know of your success ;>}

If you're going to throw the stuff in the pond, I'll give you my mailing address as an alternative ;>}

Comment

• Radio Boy
            • Feb 2002

TMPGE driving me insane....still

Thanks....I'll try that....but just WHERE exactly do I go to make sure that I've gotten them un-installed?

Also........I'm working with a clip right now that Virtual-Dub says is a Divx 5.0.
            Although I can play it in Media Player, and although TMPGE "acts" as though it's working........I cannot get any 'preview' and it winds up going through the motions but in actuality does nothing at all...(or at least nothing that I know about)

As far as the codecs are concerned.....I would be happy to un-install ALL of them, but I haven't a clue where to go do it, and haven't a clue how to put the good ones back in.
            I hate to be so ignorant about all this. If I don't get this fixed soon, my family will dis-own me. It's all on your shoulders Setarip.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"It's all on your shoulders Setarip."

Oooooooooooh, I feel the pressure - Maybe your family should disown you, trying to dump your problems on a total stranger;>}

Go to your Control Panel and select "Add/Remove Programs"...

As far as reinstalling codecs, your statement mystifies me - How did you install them the first time around?

Since I haven't yet "messed" with DivX v.5.0, I don't know if it presents any problems to TMPGEnc.

Comment

• Radio Boy
                • Feb 2002

I can't find the codecs in the control panel, (XP) but I did find them in "System Information". I don't see any mention of Divx3.1, but the Divx 5.0 is there.....which I don't quite understand.....the rest are Microsoft codecs.

Did the installation of the Divx 5 erase Divx 3?

I can't seem to get it to erase under "System Information" so the only thing I know to do is find it in the "System 32" folder in Windows and get rid of it there.

As far as the installation of codecs.......I installed them like I install everything else.....it's just that since nothing was working, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.....maybe not afterall.

Now what?

Comment

• Radio Boy
                  • Feb 2002

codecs, planes and automobiles

I can't find the codecs in the control panel, (XP) but I did find them in "System Information". I don't see any mention of Divx3.1, but the Divx 5.0 is there.....which I don't quite understand.....the rest are Microsoft codecs.

Did the installation of the Divx 5 erase Divx 3?

I can't seem to get it to erase under "System Information" so the only thing I know to do is find it in the "System 32" folder in Windows and get rid of it there.

As far as the installation of codecs.......I installed them like I install everything else.....it's just that since nothing was working, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.....maybe not afterall.

Now what?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Look in your DivX 5.0 folder. If you can locate a file named "Uninstall32.exe" (if I remember correctly), just doubleclick on it.

Then do wahtever you did originally to install (again) the DivX v.3.11alpha codec.

Then shut down and restart your computer.

See if TMPGEnc now behaves...

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

DivX3 will not be replaced by DivX5 upon installation. It's just that it's been made dormant since DivX5 forcibly takes over 3.11 content playback. When you uninstall DivX5, the 3.11a codec will begin playing back 3.11a contents again. The story may be different when you reinstall 5 or even 4.12. Try it and see if you experience the same thing as me.

Comment

• Radio Boy
                        • Feb 2002

Codec, schmodec

I reinstalled Divx3.1 and did NOT take out 5.
                        That seemed to do it......Things are back to normal, which of course means severe frustration, but not quite suicidal.
                        I'm encoding a movie right now........we'll see how it turns out.

When I had put this movie in Virtual Dub, it lit up something about VBR, and it might be wrong (or something).....so I"ll probably wind up posting about that again too.

How far away are we from a piece of software that does everything so well, that the most thinking I have to do is whether I want popcorn or a pizza to go with my movie? Let me know when that is available!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

How far away are we from a piece of software that does everything so well, that the most thinking I have to do is whether I want popcorn or a pizza to go with my movie? Let me know when that is available!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Once you have learned how to use that piece of software and mastered it, you need not ask that question anymore. Of course, provided the software has enough powerful options to satisfy even the most demanding of users.

Comment

• Radio Boy
                            • Feb 2002

Enchanter has a good point

You're right........actually, I was on a roll with TMPGE until the codec issue came up. Then I was completely stumped.

I also just noticed that the clip I was doing was back to the "blank" screen......but is only 50% done. I checked it under the "preview" window, and was surprised to find that the clip ended a long time again, but the file is still going! I'm afraid to close it out, now that the clip is over because it might not be correct. I can't understand why I must encode 6 more hours of nothing, but I will, and try to edit it later. Any idea on why this is nearly 100% bigger than it really is?

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

I don't use TMPGEnc much except for performing IVTC on some problematic NTSC DVDs, so can't offer much help there. However, as far as I'm concerned, the file size of MPEG files is always (generally) larger than DivX-compressed AVI files., and usually by quite a large gap.

Comment

Working...