X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wooduck
    • Apr 2004

Shrinking AVI's

Hi
    Can someone help with my problem with a large AVI file.
    (the file is titled blahblah xvid.avi)

I have tried to convert from AVI to MPEG with TMPGenc AVI to MPG
    and also santa, I get the message too big etc in TMPG,and santa bombs out after getting me all exited thinking it's going to work.!!

I have split the AVI file and I would like to reduce the size of it (them) and then rejoin.

I have seen a lot of forum space talking about doing this but I have looked at so many I don't know whether I am Arthur or Martha at the moment.

Firstly I don't know which of the programs talked about to use, and secondly will any editing effect the audio.? I haven't a clue about muxing and I don't really want to go that deep.

Is there a straight forward method of doing this.

Many thanks

Wooduck
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i'd stick with tmpgenc. first of all what type of disc do you want to create? VCD? DVD?. if you want mpg-1(VCD) you can still encode in tmpgenc and ignore the "too large" message, you can just "cut" the file after tmpgenc encodes it using "mpeg tools" and merge/cut feature.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

"Can someone help with my problem with a large AVI file. (the file is titled blahblah xvid.avi)"

Open the original AVI file in "VirtualDubMod" ("File" > "Open Video File"). Then go to "File" > "File Information" and post everything that is listed in both the video and audio sections of the dialog box, or post a screenshot of the information.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Chances are that if it's a decently made XviD-compressed .AVI, the only further compression that could be done (without totally ruining video quality) would be to convert the (typical) .AC3 audiostream to .MP3.

Converting an XviD-compressed (or DivX-compressed) .AVI to ANY MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format will always result in a FAR LARGER filesize than the filesize of the .AVI...

Comment

• wooduck
          • Apr 2004

Thank you all for replying.
          Ormonde I have placed the info below. When I opened the file in virtualdub, it did come up with a message saying the audio bitrate needed to be changed, and virtualdub would take care of the header or something like that.
          It is an excellent quality .avi, great picture,and sound when I play it in Power DVD.

Video Stream
          Frame size 640x352,23,976fps. 4178us
          Length 170516frames (1:58:31.94)
          decomp xvio mpeg-4 codec
          key frames 1268
          Min/avg Key 2492/21996/59164 (2723k)
          .. .. Delta 7/3400/84895/(561973k)
          Data rate 679kbps

Audio Stream
          Sampling Rate 48000Hz
          channels 2 (Stereo)
          Sampling prec N/A
          Compression fraunhofer IIs Mpeg layer- 3 codec
          layout 296331 Chunks (0.2s preload)
          length 115155768 samples (1:58:31.89)
          Min / Avg Total fps 96/388/960 (112457k)
          DataRate 130kbps (5.829%)

Hope you can advise.

Thanks to all
          Wooduck

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

to setarip

"Converting an XviD-compressed (or DivX-compressed) .AVI to ANY MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format will always result in a FAR LARGER filesize than the filesize of the .AVI..."

not always, i have in the past converted many divx-compressed .avi files to mpeg-1 using tmpgenc that resulted in an approximate 150-200 MB size reduction.....(from app.700MB).
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To columbo999

Would I be incorrect in speculating that, in order to accomplish this, you reduced the resolution significantly (and, perhaps, the butrate as well)?

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

wooduck

A quote from your initial post:

"I have tried to convert from AVI to MPEG with TMPGenc AVI to MPG"

You have not stated explicitly what you are seeking to achieve with your AVI file(s). Is it your desire to "Convert" the file to a DVD-related file structure for the purpose of viewing on a conventional standalone player? You did state in your 2nd post: "It is an excellent quality .avi, great picture,and sound when I play it in Power DVD.", so I take it that the AVI plays fine on your PC. What is your purpose in "Spliting" the file?
                Last edited by ormonde; 8 Apr 2005, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

to setarip

"Would I be incorrect in speculating that, in order to accomplish this, you reduced the resolution significantly (and, perhaps, the butrate as well)?"

i can't say it is an entirely incorrect statement, just that a few exceptions do exist. of course it was "rare" when such a thing would happen....(and only occured for mpeg-1).
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• wooduck
                    • Apr 2004

AVI length

Ormonde
                    Sorry, I clean forgot that I didn't say what I was trying to do.

I am trying to get the original 700+mb AVI file onto a DVD-.

I haven't had this problem before, and I can't remember using a xvid.avi file. (but maybe people don't title all .avi files with the divx or xvid so I wouldn't know.)
                    I suppose converting it to a different compression system is out of the question. (am I being stupid?)
                    It's a particularly good movie and, I would like to do it but if it's going to lose too much I will just have to be happy watching it on a computer monitor.

Thanks for your trouble ormonde. Look forward to your reply.
                    I think we have 9 or 12 hrs time difference.
                    Wooduck

Wooduck

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
                      Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK". Rightclick on the audiostream again, then select "Compression" and make certain it is set to "No compression (PCM)"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Then:

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
                      (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}
                      Last edited by setarip; 9 Apr 2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• wooduck
                        • Apr 2004

Thanks Setarip.
                        I will try that and post what happens.
                        Just one question, when you say "Load the .avi file" do you mean the full file or the 2 parts one at a time. (I have both lots)
                        Thanks
                        Wooduck

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

"Just one question, when you say "Load the .avi file" do you mean the full file or the 2 parts one at a time."

Preferably, the "Uncut" version.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"Thanks Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

"I am trying to get the original 700+mb AVI file onto a DVD-."
                            "Just one question, when you say "Load the .avi file" do you mean the full file or the 2 parts one at a time."

The original 700Mb+ .AVI...

Comment

Working...