How do I copy mini dv home movies to DVD+R?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRed CC Duall
    • Apr 2005

How do I copy mini dv home movies to DVD+R?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question...here is what I have tried. I used Windows movie maker. I was able to capture the video from my camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV11 NTSC) and edit the video on the storyboard. When I tried to burn a DVD+R (bought a 100 pack on sale for $35), the computer will not burn the DVD. I was able to burn a CD-R of it that would play on the PC via Windows Media Player.

The burner is an HP multi format DVD burner and successfully burned rescue disks to DVD+R three days ago.

My goal is to preserve home movies I have on mini DV tape to DVD's I can watch on a DVD player in the living room or send to family so that they can have movies that they find interesting, reunions etc.

Do I need to convert the saved video on the hard drive to some special format to burn it? I am at a total loss. I tried looking through the FAQ's and forum questions but did not see a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help and apologys for a long first post.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Hello and welcome to the forums. Try the following procedure:

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
      • Apr 2005

ormonde,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a glossary I can go to to read up on what it is you just said?? I saved the files as NTSC, does this mean I can skip step 1.? I will Google TMPGEnc DVD Author, DVDLab, and Nero to find what they are....I'm afraid I'm in way over my head. Thanks again for the help, I'll post back with the success or failure on my part....have a good one!!

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I saved the files as NTSC, does this mean I can skip step 1.?"

What "Video Format" (i.e., mpeg, AVI) is the file captured in? If, the format is mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 and it is "DVD Compliant", then yes you can skip to step 2.

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
          • Apr 2005

Wow, I looked and found that these are all programs, they sound user friendly enough from the Ads. So I take it that there is no way if using included windows software, movie maker, media viewer etc. that can accomplish mini DV tape to DVD??

If I had to buy one "TMPGEnc Author", DVDLab", or "Nero" which would you recommend??

Comment

• DiscoInferno
            • Apr 2005

Of the three, ive only used nero, and cant fault it on easy useability. Even i cant cock it up, and thats saying something.

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"If I had to buy one "TMPGEnc Author", DVDLab", or "Nero" which would you recommend??"

"TMPGEnc DVD Author"...

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ormonde
                "I saved the files as NTSC, does this mean I can skip step 1.?"

What "Video Format" (i.e., mpeg, AVI) is the file captured in? If, the format is mpeg-1, or mpeg-2 and it is "DVD Compliant", then yes you can skip to step 2.
                ormonde,

I tried to view the extensions to the files and was unable. It simply said windows audio/video files. I will recapture the video and save it as an mpeg, AVI if given the option....thanks so much for your patience.

It looks as though I have a lot of DVD/video learning and a lot of reading on the forum to do to try and come up to speed.

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
                  • Apr 2005

DiscoInferno,

Thank you for the opinion, and reply.

Comment

• sfheath
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ormonde
                    "If I had to buy one "TMPGEnc Author", DVDLab", or "Nero" which would you recommend??"

"TMPGEnc DVD Author"...
                    BigRed CC Duall: ditto!
                    but then TMPGEnc DVD Author and Nero are available as trials so you can choose
                    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
                      • Apr 2005

Thanks to all who replied. I'm burning DVDs now with no problem I feel like such a putz....I looked a lil' closer at the soft ware that came with the kid's new PC and found a program called InterVideo WinDVD. It allows me to do the dv tape to DVD directly or edit if I wish. I should not have been using the Windows Movie Maker. Thanks again for everyones help, it has caused be to become a lil' more knowledgeable despite myself

Comment

• ormonde
                        Digital Video Explorer
                        • Dec 2003

"Thanks again for everyones help"

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

• milOtis
                          • Apr 2005

FYI - there is no extension because you have extension hiden. go to control panel, folder options, and on the views tab, uncheck the "hide extensions..." option, so you can see them from now on

and fyi - you always wanna capture in NTSC DVD MPEG-2, should get a mpg or mp2 file after capturing. 720x480, 8mbps, 224k audio, you know...

~ milOtis

Comment

Working...