Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miriya52
    • Jul 2005

Shrinking AVI files to fit on a data DVD, VirtualDub

I have 11 AVI files that I would like to be put on a single DVD5 (4483MB)
    media. The problem is that these files as a whole is 50 MB or so over the limit. Is there anyway I can shrink/cut/compress these files slightly to fit on a single disc? I have looked at VirtualDub, but when I try to make a new AVI file without the end credits, the new file being generated is huge (original file is 350 MB, new file being generated is expected to be 6.6 GB) Any suggestions? My burning software is Nero.

Anna
  • miriya52
    • Jul 2005

Ah yes, and I'm seeing a lot of posts about converting it to another format and then using DVDshrink. I only need to keep it in data form (i.e. I don't necessarily need to be able to view it directly on a DVD player) Couple questions:

1) Would I be able to store more .avi files on a DVD over if the files were converted to a format that makes the DVD directly viewable?

2) Also, would I be able to cut/shrink/compress while keeping the .avi format?

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

"original file is 350 MB, new file being generated is expected to be 6.6 GB)"

looks like your not re-encoding either the audio or video

if you want to cut the end credits
      1 use the slider bar to cut your part
      2 use "direct stream copy" under the video and audio tab so as not to uncompress. no re-encoding is needed to cut out a part/s

if you convert the file/s to dvd mpeg 1/2 the file/s will be much larger

dvdshrink only works on a full dvd structure

Comment

• miriya52
        • Jul 2005

Cool, I followed the directions at: http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/cutavi.html
        again and it worked properly this time. I must have missed something the first time around.

Thanks!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Yes, what you missed was what "tigerman8u" mentioned:

"use 'direct stream copy' under the video and audio tab so as not to uncompress"...

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

sometimes it's the little things we miss that result in big mistakes
            congrads on your success

Comment

Working...