Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobthemagictoad
    • Jul 2005

QSI DVDRW SDW-042 with WIN-XP won't burn anything at all

I only know enough to be dangerous, but this is beyond me. I have an Averatec laptop with a DVD+-R/RW Drive built in. Its ID says QSI DVDRW SDW-042. I've tried to burn everything I can think of. It says its working fine, but nothing at all appears on the disk. I tried using Nero Burning Rom, nothing. Tried using the windows cd burner that comes built in to XP, that didn't work either. Thanks.
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

welcome to the forum

this should explain some things :

Comment

• bobthemagictoad
      • Jul 2005

Thanks you so much for that. It was driving me up a wall.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Perhaps this page might be of some assistance. It is the "QSI SDW-041" though but, should work I think.

Comment

• APB113
          • Nov 2007

Qsi Dvdrw Sdw-042

Own a gericom laptop, had major problems with this QSI drive, trawled the net looking for answers, tried everything I came across, but sometimes it does turn out to be a hardware fault as mine did. The QSI SDW-042 was buggered so no ammount of tweaking, firmware updates etc was gonna get it working. Checked on Ebay a few times for a replacement drive and eventually came across the exact drive, paid my £38.00 and 2 days later it arrived. Now as I said I own a Gericom Ego 1003, now dont do what I did and take the whole thing apart just to discover I only need to undo 4 screws, 2 on the memory simm cover, you will fine another screw underneath this and 1 more screw underneath almost opposite the rubber foot on the right hand side of the drive, it will then pull out but be gentle. I replaced the drive, replaced all screws and pressed the on button. 1 min later, happily watching a dvd, then playing CDs, and burning a a Data DVD. Happy days.

Comment

Working...