Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RPT
    • Feb 2004

Renaming AVI Files

When I click on to delete or rename an .avi file, I get the message that "it is being used by another person or program". These files are not being made available through any P2P program. When I want to delete one of these files I'm using a handy little application that does that when the computer reboots, but I seem to recall that there was a way to bypass that "being used .." message to delete or rename. Can anyone help?
    Many thanks!!
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

You can delete it through DOS. I ran across a couple of those in my VCD days.

Comment

• ashes
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2005

Open Task Manager to see what other programs are running in the background that might be accessing such files.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

"Can anyone help?"

yes, i get that sometimes---makes me angry somethin terrible too

this almost always works, right click the file "cut", open recycle bin, "paste" . empty bin. if not, re-boot then do this.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

a reboot of the system will usually solve the problem. Their is a fix via the registry that I have read about but never tried. Will try to find and post back

Comment

• RPT
            • Feb 2004

Thanks for the suggestions folks. However, all of them allow you to delete an .avi file. I want to be able to rename it.
            Thx again.
            p.s. - ashes, I've checked the task manager. I can't identify any program that would be accessing the .avi files.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

rename you say?

right click the culprit, use "properties" NOT "rename"
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...