Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1commander
    • Aug 2005

Avi stutters/ is jerky

I am not sure how to describe it besides stuttering or jerkyness, but the audio also stutters. This is uncompressed avi and it's size is about 1gb to 5gb - there are several files, and they all stutter now. I am not sure what caused this. They worked fine until 2 days ago. Any suggestions? This video is EXTREMELY important to me so all suggestions are welcome.

My system specs, (I dont think it matters since they worked before just fine) is 3ghz p4, 1gig ram, radeon 9800... and yes, I did upgrade video drivers. I actually updated them 2 days ago, so I think it may be related, but that doesnt make sense. I already tried going back to my previous version but that didnt work either.
  • VinceUTAH
    • Jul 2005

If your O/S is Win XP try doing a System Restore back to just before the stuttering began.

Comment

• 1commander
      • Aug 2005

I've tried; no system restore point seems to work anymore. I tried 3 different points.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

"problem started 2 days ago"

"My system specs, (I dont think it matters since they worked before just fine) is 3ghz p4, 1gig ram, radeon 9800... and yes, I did upgrade video drivers. I actually updated them 2 days ago, so I think it may be related, but that doesnt make sense"

that makes perfect sense! it's obviously something to do with that. i'd re-install what you had before...
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• 1commander
          • Aug 2005

You're right, it does seem to correlate, but I already uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled from my manufacturer's CD before I posted - sorry, I should have mentioned that. That didnt work though. So I updated again; still didnt work. I then reinstalled again from scratch.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

you may have no choice but to do a complete re-format of the pc....
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• 1commander
              • Aug 2005

Thanks for the advice but that defeats the point of saving my video. I dont think that is really necessary in a problem like this anyway.

More info I just discovered - if I watch a video (say first 2min) it skips horribly, but if I rewatch those first 2 min it seems much better, although not perfect. Far less skipping, etc. However, after the 2min mark (where I stopped watching) it is bad once again and continues to skip. Thanks for the help thus far.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Thanks for the advice but that defeats the point of saving my video
                well i meant to save you file(s) on a disc first.

too bad a system restore wouldn't fix it. the symptoms you describe i get when i heavily multitask...but i'm sure that's not the case for you here. something must have happened with that update...

is it just these uncompressed avi's that do this, or is it all media files?
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• hernan35
                  • Sep 2005

Sorry dude's. I think you updated drivers are the problem. At least, WindowsXP it's a $#*&%*$ system, I have it and use it for a very little thinks, like office. When I need to work graphics and video, change my hard drive for other that have Windos98SE, is not perfect but with limitations is more stable and compatible.

Many software and dirvers says and give you updates for WindowsXP but they realy don't work well or solve one trouble and give you two more. Finaly have that problem, you can't restore the system to a previous good one register.

Keep trying and I wish you look

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

@1commander: try downloading & installin the latest (alpha) version of 'ffdshow', if you haven't already done so. (make sure it is the 'celtic druid' build) get it here: http://www.free-codecs.com
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...