Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poordamocles
    • Aug 2005

ATI Wonder Pro...Wasted My Money?

I bought ATI Wonder Pro to capture my home movies from VHS, hoping to put them on DVD. Wonder Pro gives me mgp files that can't burn straight onto a DVD (Oh, hurray, how useful!!), so I convert the mgp to a DVD format using VSO DivxToDVD. This program also burns the dvd. My problem is that the quality is greatly reduced from my original VHS's. It's a little better when I capture using VCD quality rather than DVD quality, but it's still a bit fuzzy and poor compared to the original. (Also, the conversion step is VERY slow...6 hours for 1 hour of tape.) Question: Should I just sell the WonderPro on Ebay, and spend the $400 for one of those all-in-one machines that converts VHS to DVD? Please note: I can't burn in VCD mode because I want to be able to play my DVDs on any old average DVD player. Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

I have the ATI AIW 9000 pro. capture using a dvd compliant mpeg2. Use a program such as Tmpgenc dvd Author (or similiar) to author the mpeg2. You can d/l a trial version. Burn the output from TDA to a blank dvd. DO NOT use Vso divx to dvd. Vso re-encodes the file therefore lowering the quality and taking the time you stated. IMO the AIW does a good job of capturing but sometimes can be a head-ache to set up properly. If you want to know the exact settings I use for capturing let me know. What model are you using and what software are you capturing with ?

Comment

• poordamocles
      • Aug 2005

Hi Tigerman; thanks for the reply. I'll toss the VSO encoding program as you suggest, and try the TDA. The ATI model I'm using is called TV Wonder Pro, made in 2003. The capture software I use comes with it, and I believe it's called ATI TV. I just leave it on its default settings because I don't speak the language...I guess I'm not being much help.

Comment

Working...