Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bossj-f
    • Mar 2002

how to make an .avi files with n wmv2 files

Hy guy's, I know that i'm not the only 1 with that kind of problem but can someone help me!!! I've tried to transfer my wmv2 files with virtualdub1.3c and it says: couldn't locate decompressor for format wmv2 (unknown).after that i've tried with asf tools snd after the conversion i just listen de video...couldn't see it i've downloaded a codec from microsoft and it didn't do a thing !!!i'm able to see all my video instead of this 1 ..if u have the full answer can u guide myself throw this thing?? if it's to long you can e-mail me at; charleso @sympatico.ca thx in advanced!!

p.s: sorry for my poor english ,not very good in it !!

i'm using windows xp !
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe that you're presently out of luck. The WMV2/WindowsMediaVideo8 codec is, as far as I know, locked in such a fashion that it can only be used for encoding (with the WM8 Tools) and playing. Other software, such as VirtualDub, etc., cannot avail themselves to this codec.

Perhaps, in the near future, as has happened with Microsoft's predecessor codecs, someone will create a "key to unlock" the codec.

Rest assured, if I am in any way mistaken, some other poster's information will appear here in short order ;>}

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

According to this guide you need to convert it to another wmv file using windows media encoder before loading it into vdub1.3.

But If I were you I would probably just stay with the wmv file, too much reencoding will only degrade the quality.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• JGM
        • Jun 2002

convert wmv2 to avi

There is a way to do this.
        I was reading

The article says to come to this site and get

GraphEdit

It then says
        The newer WMV2 format requires a different codec, and Robyn's research turned up yet another tool called GraphEdit (https://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/d...ding_conv.html), which is very cool. GraphEdit's display looks like a flowchart, and that's exactly what it is: a graphical depiction of hooking together various codecs and filters and directing media streams through them. You position the pieces on the screen and GraphEdit pipes your files through the maze. The documentation was sketchy, but Robyn felt his way through a multistep process by

1. removing "Default DirectSound Device and Video Renderer,"

2. adding in his own compression codec,

3. channeling everything through an AVI Mux (multiplexer) to make it an AVI file,

4. writing the output to a file (with an AVI extension).

The process was anything but straightforward, with many detailed steps, retries, and separate handling of audio and video streams. Check out the link above to see what I mean.

robyn217: Let's just say, it was certainly an adventure... Anybody found an easier way to edit WMV files?
        view full post

mvneufeld: Your first mistake was using Premiere. If you want to use a superb video editor that CAN handle WMV file (and just about any other video format), try Sonic Foundry's Video Vegas 3. I've got it a few weeks ago, and it's brilliant - stable, flexible, intuitively designed...
        view full post

Getting Closer

has any one done this

Comment

• nosferatu_net
          • May 2002

I'm a happy GraphEdit user and I can assure what JGM is saying is right.

In addiction, if the audio stream is WMA, you can remove the decoder filter and pipe it straight forward to the AVI MUX.
          Concerning the video stream, if you are lucky you'll find MPEG-4 encoded video inside the WMV, so you'll be able to remove even the video decompressor, and go "direct stream mode" with the video also.
          You'll have an AVI out of a WMV without recompressing a single bit.

You may be unlucky, though...

Comment

Working...