Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMWRIGHT
    • Mar 2002

DivX and CD-R

So glad I found you guys. I have a bzillion questions about Divx and video on a PC. Can I please ask just a couple now.

First, I bought DivX 5.0 thinking it could help me compress video files so they will fit on a CD-R disk. Don't have a DVD-R drive (yet) Today I used Studio Deluxe to bring into my PC an old Beta video (analog) tape that I want to archive onto CD. The size of the AVI is over 18gb. How can I squeeze this on a CD, or can I? If yes, what is the trick? Also, for what it's worth, the only application (that I've found) on my PC that can open the DivX control panel is Studio.

Thanks

Dan
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Let's begin by you telling us the length and resolution of the movie.

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
      • Mar 2002

Thanks,

the length is 1 hour thirty minutes. Resolution is 720 x 480, this is what Studio is reporting. In Windows XP property it say's 640 x 480.I just finished rendering in Studio. The file sizw is now 2.9gb.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If I understand correctly, you've now compressed the video with the DivX 5.0 codec. If so, the 90 minute video at 2.9Gigs probably has an uncompressed PCM (WAV) audiostream at 48,000Khz. By doing the following, you should be able to reduce the filesize significantly:

I'd suggest that you download and install VirtualDub and the Radium MP3 audio codec.

Then load your file into VirtualDub

Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"

Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"

Under "Audio", select "Conversion - set to 44,100

Under "Audio" select "Compression" - choose the 44,100 MP3 setting you prefer (from 96 to 320)

From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI - enter a new filename

Lte us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
          • Mar 2002

Great, I'll try this. irst, will VirtualDub run under Win XP? Radium MP3 codex, can I find it here?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Yes and Yes...

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
              • Mar 2002

"Radium MP3 codex" where can you download this file?
              Thanks

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
                  • Mar 2002

Yes the hunt. I found it at a eastern european site, the other link was down.

Okay, installed both programs and ran through VirtualDub using your instructions. Your right, the file is smaller (was 2.84gb now 2.06gb) and audio is now MP3. I think now I will burn to VCD and see what happens. One comment before I start. After doing the dub, I played AVI in Windows Media player (8.0). Video and Audio played good except when I tried to fast forward. The player would stop and say the "File Fornat was Invalid". Then I would have to close. I played in other players and got same result. Do you think this will still be a problem after I convert to VCD?

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

If you now have a 90 minute DivX-comrpessed .AVI file, with MP3 audio, and it's still 2.06Gigs, something is VERY wrong. The filelength should be somewhere around 650Megs.

Yes, if you've got a problem playing the .AVI, you'll most certainly have a problem if you convert it to VCD...

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

What bitrate did you use? 1000 should be more than sufficient.

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
                        • Mar 2002

You guys have been a lot of help. I think I should have came here sooner. I'm thinking I will start this project over. I did make a VCD earlier this week but the movie was not this big. Can I tell the process I went through, maybe I screwed-up even before I came here.

First I used Studio 7 to bring the analog tape (via my DV camcorder) into Studio. I then saved as an AVI using the standard Studio settings. Then I used Pennacle Express to make AVI into VCD, file was to big to fit on CD-R. I then went back into Studio and made file an MPEG. Used Easy CD Creater to make MPEG into VCD, file to big. Then I came here. Use VirtualDub on file to make smaller by converting audio to MP3. File is smaller, but not small enough to fit on CD-R. Windows say's the Bitrate is 159 kbps. I also installed Radium MP3 codex. Don't know if it came into play or not.

Dan

Comment

• DMWRIGHT
                          • Mar 2002

Sorry, forgot to ask, Bitrate if I need to, where do I change/check, Studio, VirtualDub etc.

Comment

Working...