X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Complete Digital Rookie Needs Help AVIetc To DVD

I have received a lot of help and info from members of this forum and I thank them.I am a total rookie not only to digital media but also computers.I write this not for sympathy but in the hope that there is an understanding of my questions to this forum.Is there a simple format to follow to take AVI to DVD.I have used Nero some successful some not as you know.With info from members I have Downloaded a few items which I can list if needed but they are sitting in their files because I do not have enough confidence in my ability to put them where they should go without screwing up. I apologize if this is too lengthy it wont be from now on.

• LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

start by telling us what you downloaded (software)
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Most programs that are downloaded and need an installation procedure done usually pick the right spot themselves. Other programs that do not need an installation and are standalone programs will work fine from anywhere you decide to put them.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

all-in-one converters IMO are Dvd2svcd andVsodivx to dvd
        best way is to convert the avi/etc to a compliant dvd mpeg 1/2 with a program such as Mainconcept or Tmpgenc Plus
        author the mpeg 1/2 with a program such as Tmpgenc dvd Author

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

I have 320Gig Western Digital WD3200JB,Gig RAM,GSA-4163B LG 16X Dual Layer DVD-Writer.Downloaded GSpot221, Quicktime reader plug-in for TMPGenc, Ac3Acm Decompressor, Ac3 Filters, Ac3 Fix, VirtualDubMod 1_5_10_2 All Inclusive,MPC 6485 with update 6486 and Nero 6.6.I hope I got it right.I tried to follow info from this forum. Thank you LT. Columbo, jm1647, and tigerman8u.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

bloody hell! you got just about everything you need to get you started!
            if you decide to use the guide below, get virtualdub 1.5 (different from virtualdubmod)
            links at top of guide

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

I would like to say thank you to LT. Columbo.I visited the thread and for now tried to take in as much as I could but I will be back to go over it more thoroughly.When I bought this equipment I bought it for one reason and one reason only.I was just going to use DVD Decryptor and Nero to just have a place to store or put to DVD my back-ups.Who knew this was out there.This is going to sound cheap but as a rookie is there a way to do it with Freeware.

Comment

• doit2it
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Nov 2005

@soup

Hello!

I've seen this posted in some other threads here -

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)
                You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

TMPGEnc,DVD Author,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc,Pegasys,TSUNAMI,authoring,digital,video,DVD-Video,AVI,converter,convert,movie,movies

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

@doit2it, that's what the guide i gave him is.

soup, this is a free program that might be what you want
                  Avi2Dvd is a all in one tool that converts avi/mkv/ogm with few clicks in a vcd/svcd/dvd. Avi2dvd uses only freeware tools and can handle varius freeware enconders (QuEnc/FreeEnc/NuEnc) or CCE.
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• soup
                    Just Trying To Help
                    • Nov 2005

Thanks To doit2it for the help.LT. Columbo I visited both threads you gave me in fact I just spent an enjoyable 45 minutes at the last one.I prefer to read and digest.I think I am going to give the last one a shot only because I am just starting out. You're guide on the first one was easy to follow.Soup out

Comment

• doit2it
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Nov 2005

Would you please post back how it goes?

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

Well doit2it I wish I had better news 10 AVI files were put through AVI2DVD none successful.On encoder hcenc same message the log file the 0 byte generated file to focus where exactly the problem appears.I tried one AVI file on all 4 encoders quenc & freeenc this message AVISynth couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc div 3 AVISynth script file AVS line 3.I am not giving up but I am not good enough to find error and fix yet.Soup out

Comment

• doit2it
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Nov 2005

Well doit2it I wish I had better news 10 AVI files were put through AVI2DVD none successful.
                          Sorry to hear that.

Then you might want to try the two step procedure I listed instead, using TMPGEnc and TMPGenc DVD Author. It must work, because there are lots of posts about it going way back here

Comment

• soup
                            Just Trying To Help
                            • Nov 2005

Or it just could be the files just like if your car stops check the gas.Soup out

Comment

Working...