Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • honeybee1236
    • Nov 2005

One Channel Audio Converted to 2

Hello! I've been searching the forums but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I am converting VHS tapes to DVD's & then converting some of the movies to iPod format but the audio is right channel only.

My hook-up is:
    1-DVD player
    1-VCR
    1-VHS + DVD recorder combo deck
    All are hooked up together but the VCR only has a video & 1 audio out (red) & one video + 1 audio in (white) instead of the two audio out plugs. I need the picture and audio to go from the VCR to the Combo deck which is working fine. The DVD's play fine & picture quality is good but when converted and played on the iPod the sound comes out of the right headphone only.

I also have a Mac OS X + Windows XP.

Q. Is there any way I can change this and have the audio play out of both earphones?
  • doit2it
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Nov 2005

Hello

If you know how to convert AVI to "IPod format" (Is that MOV?), capture the video in AVI format, load the AVI into VirtualDub, set Video to Direct Stream Copy and set Audio to Full Processing Mode. Then from the Audio menu select Conversion and select STEREO. Then save it with a new filename.

Please post back here and tell us how it goes

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

if the above [doit2it] dont work , get a adapter which takes one audio input and then has 2 outputs, ull get sound frm both speakers. if u cant found that make one ur self. its easy.

get 3 pins one for ur vcr audio output, two for ur audio capture inputs connect them with wire, get a nice cheap wire , now ull have ur cable ready.

i have a mono vcr and i use custom made cable to capture sound for both speakers , mono obviously.
      Last edited by atifsh; 13 Nov 2005, 10:59 PM.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• jeo
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Feb 2004

Originally Posted by atfish
        get a adapter which takes one audio input and then has 2 outputs
        the right solution,perfect!
        still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• honeybee1236
          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by atifsh
          if the above [doit2it] dont work , get a adapter which takes one audio input and then has 2 outputs, ull get sound frm both speakers.
          This sounds like the easiest way for me to do it, plus it's faster than the other way I found.

I found another solution after I made this post using Quick Time Pro to reassign the audio track. Using QT Pro's export to iPod feature is way to slow for the amount of VHS tapes I have.

1-Open movie in QT Pro
          2-On toolbar go to window>show movie properties
          3-highlight the audio track in the upper section of the window
          4-then select the audio settings tab in the lower section of the window
          5- go to the Channel Assignment sub-window on the right of the lower section of the main window
          6-click & hold on line that says '1 left' (or 2 right if applicable to your situation). My audio is on the right channel only & this is to add audio to the left channel.
          7-When the pop-up window opens select right (or left) & release mouse button.
          8-Save As a 'self-contained' movie. This gave me a .MOV file. (This part of the process went fast).
          9-I then had to convert the MOV file for use on the iPod using QT Pro export to ipod feature.

The only big problem is that QT Pro is way to slow converting the file to an iPod format so I'm gonna find a different way to convert. Maybe one of the windows programs will recognize the converted program. I tested the converted file on the iPod before it stopped working and the audio plays out of both the left & right earphone. I'm gonna try using a windows program and see if it will except the QT Pro .MOV file and convert it because the only app that would recognize the file was QT Pro.

I'm gonna go hunt down an audio adapter and will let you know how this turns out. Maybe I can find a faster way to do this.

Comment

Working...